PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lunchbox planer rollers

everett lowell
04-24-2005, 2:31 PM
Could you guys suggest how to clean off the rubber rollers on my delta lunchbox planer?I just finished planing alot of pine ,2x4s and such for my cabinetmakers bench and base. Im gonna put in a fresh set of blades and i found the rollers are all gummed up from the pine!I dont want to damage the rollers. :confused: thanks

Warren White
04-24-2005, 3:05 PM
Everett,
I used mineral spirits on my DeWalt 735 and it did a good job. Don't forget to keep the base clean and waxed as well.

Warren

everett lowell
04-24-2005, 4:02 PM
Thanks alot Warren I'll try it.:)

Kurt Forbes
04-24-2005, 4:35 PM
This is a product I used to use on lazer printer rollers
have used it to put the spring back into alot of other rubber products since then

http://www.computercleanusa.com/products/getprod.asp?product_id=RUBBERREJ

good for cleaning most any rollers or wheels you have.

everett lowell
04-24-2005, 4:48 PM
This is a product I used to use on lazer printer rollers
have used it to put the spring back into alot of other rubber products since then

http://www.computercleanusa.com/products/getprod.asp?product_id=RUBBERREJ

good for cleaning most any rollers or wheels you have. Thanks kurt,hey I was thinking,since my planer is all dirty...should I tell my wife i need a 15'' or 20'' planer now?:rolleyes:

John Hemenway
04-24-2005, 5:19 PM
Thanks kurt,hey I was thinking,since my planer is all dirty...should I tell my wife i need a 15'' or 20'' planer now?:rolleyes:

Sure that will work. Of course she might want new stove, refrig, dishwasher, car or house when they get dirty!

Kurt Forbes
04-24-2005, 6:52 PM
I was thinkng recently I need to get a new can for my band saw tires
just sanded them and kicked myself for not remembering rubber rejuvinator

Kent Cori
04-24-2005, 7:26 PM
I use water and Simple Green. Mineral spirits may damage certain synthetic materials.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-25-2005, 8:31 AM
I just cleaned mine this weekend with simple green, worked great!

Gary Whitt
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I use old toothbrushes to get the chips and dust off.

Then I just use a mild detergent and water (with a rag and another toothbrush)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Everett.....I'd stay away from most chemicals especially alcohol on rubber. Alcohol will harden the rubber over time. I think that a mild cleanser like Simple Green would be the way to go! Good Luck!

Greg Scott
04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Simple Green and a Scotchbrite pad work well.

Kurt Aebi
04-25-2005, 1:17 PM
Simple Green & Green Scotch-brite pad has worked well for me as well.

everett lowell
04-25-2005, 3:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the input.I think I''ll give the simple green a try.:)

CPeter James
04-25-2005, 6:28 PM
I have used the CMT pitch remover on my steel rollers with good success. As for hardened rubber rollers, I used brake fluid on my HP 855 printer and it works better now than when new. Brake fluid won't dry out the rubber, but "feeds" it to keep it soft ( so I am told).

CPeter