PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Inside Curves

Craig Salyers
04-24-2005, 1:26 PM
Hello. I wanted to make my wife a very unique jewelry box. The design I came up with was a tall, sculpted body with round drawers (see attached frontview.jpg).

I am having a problem sanding the inside curves of the body. The shaping and sculpting process has left a lot of scratches and gouges (see attached curve.jpg). I have smoothed the outside curves with a belt sander and palm sander. ? I tried a "course" sanding sponge and it wasn't flexible enough, or course enough. I have tried simply hand sanding and the sandpaper falls apart very quickly and is going very slowly. Does anyone have any tips on getting those inside curves smooth.

Thanks in advance for the help

Craig

John Miliunas
04-24-2005, 1:57 PM
Craig, get yourself some sanding drums. These can typically be used on either, a portable drill or drill press, if you have one. Something like these seen here: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=276They're available in lots of places including, Woodcraft, Amazon, Sears even Harbor Freight. Otherwise, LOTS of tedious elbow grease, because you have to go with the grain.:(

Also, I've included a resized picture of the second one, which won't expand the page, if you care to use it and replace the one there now.:) :cool:

Pete Lamberty
04-24-2005, 6:17 PM
Craig, I can't really see how large the circles are. If they are large enough you could use a hand scraper or a spoke shave. If they are small you could make a small scraper out of a small piece of metal. Don't forget to show us the final product. :D