PDA

View Full Version : Good Intentions

Kathy Marshall
12-01-2012, 12:42 AM
When I got home from work today, I had every intention of being a good girl and working on finishing up some more coasters for my tree trimmer friends. I mounted up a short Acacia log I had cut last week just for that purpose. I started roughing it to a cylinder, but once I was through the bark it looked like it might have some neat character. The tree had stood dead for a long time before it was taken down and it looks like it had some spalting going on.
All on it's own, my bowl gouge started shaping it and then it wasn't a cylinder anymore :eek:. Not sure where that shape came from, but we'll see how it looks when it's done.
The wood is pretty dry and acacia is pretty stable anyway, so I might just add a lid to it later.
At this point it's about 9" x 6". I'll work on hollowing it tomorrow after I get more coasters finished.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bob Rotche
12-01-2012, 7:44 AM
Really nice shape and the wood looks like its got a lot going on. Look forward to seeing the finished project!

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 7:51 AM
You are so naughty K! Blaming that on your poor bowl gouge............I know......sometimes we just can't help ourselves! :eek::rolleyes::D;) Nice one you have going there!

Dale Miner
12-01-2012, 9:00 AM
Kathy,

You do have a nice shape going, and the wood looks very attractive. A suggestion, a small false collar at the base of the neck?

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I like the shape you have going on with it and the wood is beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.

John Kent
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Very unusual coaster Kathy. I'm sure your tree trimmer friends will be thrilled.:rolleyes: :D

Curt Fuller
12-01-2012, 1:22 PM
I think you need to sit that gouge down and have a good long talk with it. Or make it sit in the corner for a while. One of the fundamentals of turning is good tool control and you just can't let your tools start telling you what to do.;)

On the other hand, I gotta say that piece of wood looks awfully pretty as a vase. Not to say it wouldn't have been a nice set of coasters, I'm just saying....

Kathy Marshall
12-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone!
I hate to say it, but I was naughty again today :eek:. I cut off another section of log and roughed out another cylinder, but instead of more coasters I turned a lidded box :rolleyes:. Back on track tomorrow, just as soon as I finish hollowing the vase!

Steve Mawson
12-02-2012, 4:38 PM
Funny how you can start one thing and get on to something else. Happens to me all the time. Looking good by the way.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2012, 8:23 PM
Kathy happens to me all the time, I got to go and get something in the shop and next thing I'm doing something all together differend, and forget what the heck I was supposed to go and do, go back inside to than having to go back and go do what I was supposed to do, however,

You should keep on doing whatever it takes you to end up with good looking pieces like that :D