PDA

View Full Version : Interior Door Question

Dave Avery
05-05-2003, 5:06 PM
All,

Have a custom interior door to make for our new master bath. LOML needs her privacy, so the commode is walled off with a separate door. It's a 30" +/- door that will have a glass panel that matches the shower door enclose. Material will be cherry. Loose tenon construction. Question is, can I get away with 5/4 stock (1 1/8 net) or do I need to use 8/4. Thanks.... Dave.

Jim Becker
05-05-2003, 5:58 PM
Dave, my opinion is that you'll need to use the 8/4 material in order to get a normal "heft" for your door unless you prefer something only 1"-1 1/8" thick. (Nominal thickness for 5/4 material after milling) Be sure to consider if you want to put any ventilation in that door, too. A small, closed space like that could become uncomfortable without airflow and the "required" exhaust fan needs replacement air to come from somewhere. A small louvered panel near the bottom might be an option for that purpose...and provide an interesting woodworking experience.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-05-2003, 7:10 PM
I guess the 'privacy' doesn't include seeing in? :confused:

KC

Dave Avery
05-05-2003, 7:47 PM
KC..... patterned glass, opaque enough......

Lee Schierer
05-06-2003, 8:04 AM
One thing to consider is the door hardware. Can you fit a latch mechanism into 1-1/8" material? The thinner door might not sound or feel right when you use it.

I made some sliding doors for a closet out of 3/4" (finished thickness) material and they work just fine, but then you don't want lots of weight for a sliding door.

Dave Avery
05-06-2003, 8:41 AM
Great point Lee..... need to do some homework in the hardware area. Zack got me thinking about a "stall" door idea, which would solve the hardware problem, but probably doesn't check the box with LOML from a design perspective. Thanks for your thoughts..... Dave.