PDA

View Full Version : What are we going to be called?

Ted Shrader
02-17-2003, 10:53 AM
It has been several days now. No name yet.
There is a survey poll here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151&highlight=poll) with some choices.

If you have other suggestions please make them known.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My thoughts- We should still be Ponders.

Reasoning: When things gather in the stream, what happens? It dams up . . . . . and . . . . . makes a Pond
The saw mill's water wheel is built on the outlet of the dam. Better water flow ... more power for cutting.
Historical tribute to Wayne and all his efforts and to the community those efforts enabled.
When someone new asks, the history all the way back could be provided. It really is a legacy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anybody else ? ? ? ?

Regards,
Ted

Bruce Page
02-17-2003, 1:07 PM
I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but I agree. I will always consider myself a Ponder. What about the rest of you?

Ken Salisbury
02-17-2003, 1:15 PM
You just can't hang on to something when it's gone. We all have our fond memories of The Pond but we are on a new horizon. I really don't care what you call me as long as you don't call me too late for happy hour:D

Besides, new people who come here will start calling themselves Ponders when they really aren't. We all know who The Ponders are - so lets move on.
<p align="center">
JUST AN OLD MAN'S 2¢ WORTH

Paul Di Biasio
02-17-2003, 5:46 PM
I THINK WE SHOULD BE CALLED SAWHEADS

Jason Roehl
02-17-2003, 7:23 PM
C'mon, Ken! How could you hate to be a dissenter when you're from the South, you old Rebel;) ;) ?

Jason

(Just kidding...but I agree that Ponders will be the ones who actually experienced the Pond, we can still be called something else as a result of this place.)

Howard Rosenberg
02-18-2003, 10:03 AM
The Pond was a special place at a special time in all our lives.
But change is inevitable - we just gotta go with the flow.
One thing about woodworkers is we all love to show our projects. To sympathetic ears, we'll also go into all the construction / challenge details. Innately, we like to share. Share info, techniques, resources, time.
That's us.
There are many good forums out there, it's just a question of finding a nice spot to call home.
Also, in view of Aaron & Keith's efforts, I think it would be disrespectful to be on the Creek (up the Creek?) and still cling to calling ourselves Ponders.
With that in mind, this winter has been really difficult for my knee, why not Creekies?

Bart Leetch
02-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Well I don't know about you but I'm a Sawyer. I'll get creekie soon enough when & if arthritis shows up.:o

John M. Cioffi
02-18-2003, 10:24 AM
My answer is... call me anything,but late for dinner!!

I think we all should be called - CREEKERS!!! HA_HA.

Here's a sug. How about putting a hyphen after the names of all the real ponders,like; Ken Salisbury - ponder. Then everyone will recognize who they are. OH,Well.....

I really think we ought to let it reflect on Keith & his staff,to be a tribute for them giving us all a wonderful new experience & home.

Have a good day all.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Maybe we should just be called what we are: "Woodworkers" that hang out at "The Creek", "SawMillCreek".

Tom Sweeney
02-18-2003, 11:08 AM
What name I like best.

I do agree that Ponders are those of us that inhabited the Badger Pond & this forum will grow to include many others - so I'm not sure if Ponders is appropriate. I do put BP in my signature just a s a little reminder of the Pond.

I was thinking Millers - then we could say it's Miller Time when we log on :D I figure Ken might like that one also ;) Though I think Sawyers has more Woodworking meaning - It doesn't sound as good to me as Millers - for some reason that I can't put my finger on.

Ok I think I now have the most obtuse posting on the forum - I don't even know what I just said :rolleyes: I better go get more coffee!

Joe Suelter
02-18-2003, 11:19 AM
In light of everyone's opinion on "Ponder's", I've changed my thoughts on this subject. I agree that it would be wrong to keep calling ourselves Ponders, Keith & his staff have literally bent over backwards to put this site together in a weeks time, and I feel it would be a slap in the face to him & his staff. I've deleted my previous post stating that we should still be called Ponders, (the edit button Rocks!). I guess I didn't think about how that might affect Keith & Co. So, in short, do we really need a group name? Everyone here knows that eveyone else is here, so why do we need to call ourselves anything? Just asking.... "Woodworkers", as stated above, fits perfectly.

Dave Anderson
02-18-2003, 4:25 PM
When Keith first approached this idea he posted on Badger Pond and asked our opinions. I voiced my concern that if his new website got a lot of the old Ponders to be regular visitors (dare I say Members...) I was worried that he would, or we would, try to make this "Pond, Jr."

I have to agree with Ken Salisbury - we just need to let it go, folks!

Personally, I don't like the idea of calling ourselves "Creekers." The sound is too close to "Ponder" for my liking. Creeker/Ponder - sheesh!

Besides, I have the answer: we should be known as the Millstones! :D

Let's not get in too big a hurry on this thing. Let's let this site mature for a little while and I'm sure its own identity will surface and with it - a name.

Howard Norman
02-18-2003, 5:41 PM
IMHO, the use of "Ponders" is out. Let the past rest in peace. I don't care what you call me, just don't make it late for dinner.

Howard

Dave Arbuckle
02-18-2003, 5:50 PM
Y'all are free to call me "Dave"... :D

Dave

John M. Cioffi
02-18-2003, 5:57 PM
Hey Dave,

I was just kidding about the "Creekers" name.
It was,I say,it was a joke-son....

Don't worry........be happy!

Dave Anderson
02-18-2003, 6:36 PM
I was just kidding about the "Creekers" name. It was, I say, it was a joke-son....

Hey John,
I know you were joking as was I when I suggested we call ourselves the Millstones.

But, I did read other threads here at the SawMill where people were acting serious about naming us "Creekers."

I hope we can do better than that, all joking aside! Besides, my bones already do enough creeking for all of us. ;)

Dave Anderson NH
02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Dave Anderson SoCal. With time we will develop our own identity and a name will be adopted that both feels right and sounds right. It will probably happen of its own accord and just surface by chance in someone's post. If we force the issue it will just sound contrived.

Lee Schierer
02-19-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure where or when the term Ponder originated, but as I recall it sort of grew out of the community without any conscious effort. I think given time and the membership that is starting out here that a nickname will find us soon enough, particularly if we carry on the tradition of the Pond, which was to welcome new members with open arms into our community. Putting tags after our name or other identifier would make a "good ole boys" and "others" distinction which woiuld be counter productive.

Lee

Ken Garlock
02-19-2003, 1:17 PM
calling the group Craftsmen. You could be considered to be at different levels determined by the number posts you have made. For example:

0-30 posts -- Apprentice

31-100 posts -- Craftsman

100+ posts -- Master

Craftsman is a term that has been in use for hundreds of years for mulitiple professions, but it seems to me to be particularlly associated with work working.

Anyway, it sounds "more better" than member.

Dave Arbuckle
02-19-2003, 1:32 PM
Ken, I participate in a forum that uses similar titles as you suggest. I humbly suggest, it is a mistake. People get confused about why it says what it does, someone new logs on and doesn't like that they aren't a Master, things like this.

"New Member" and family have the benefit of having little other meaning in a woodworking sense.

Dave

Ruby in NC
02-19-2003, 1:43 PM
Sawdusters?

Sawdusters of Saw Mill Creek

Seems to fit everything from the chips when the tree is felled to the fine dust from the final shaving in powered and non-powdered craftsmanship.

Collection of tools and sawdust, also seems to be universal conversation topics, too.

Just my two-bits worth of sawdust this afternoon.

Regards,
Ruby

Dave Anderson
02-19-2003, 1:59 PM
Let's just let this pot simmer for a while. I'm in no hurry to have a nickname. If a name for the people who gather here ever takes place it will be because it just happened not because we gave it a name.

If memory serves, Badger Pond was around for a couple of years before someone in a post accidently "named" the people "Ponders."

We're trying too hard on this - give it time.