PDA

View Full Version : how best to attach a head to a cane?

carl zietz
11-30-2012, 5:02 PM
My daughter is going to be recovering from hip surgery and has asked me to make a cane for her, as she puts it something other than the aluminum walmart special. I found some instructions that use a 5/8 hardwood dowel to connect the shaft to the head. Anyone have better Ideas? right now I have a maple shaft in the sanding process on the lathe, with the plan of a black walnut spacer under a cherry handle. (all materials that I have had laying around the shop.)

thanks

Carl Zietz

Gary Herrmann
11-30-2012, 5:16 PM
You could use a hangar bolt and glue it in place.

If you're gluing end grain, coat the mating surfaces with a watered down coat of glue to prevent the joint from being glue-starved. Do that, and a dowel or anything else should work fine.

Did I just use glue 3 times in one sentence? Yeesh.

Larry Frank
11-30-2012, 8:57 PM
I have had hip surgery twice and used a walker, crutches and canes. As much as I would love to have someone make me a cane, I would be afraid to use anything else but one made to whatever the code is. I have used a black aluminum cane and put flame stickers on it.

The doctor told me after hip surgery to be real careful. The first hip replacement was bad enough but if I fell and broke it things would be 10 times worse.

I have seen some canes made of wood that had some roots on it or the branches were twisted. These would likely be strong enough. I know that I am overly cautious but did not want to have to endure more surgery or perhaps some permanent damage.