PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tags for High Temp Mfg Environment

Brian Stezowski
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a customer that needs a pretty high volume (in the hundreds) of 1" dia. metal tags that will be attached to a mold. These tags will have to be durable enough to handle ~600 degree F temps when in use in a manufacturing environment.

What would be the best solution for this? I am thinking:
Stainless with Cermark (not sure of the high temp durablity here)
Durablack- the specs indicate high temp resistance
Lazerblak- can't seem to find spec in the brief search I just did.
with Brass being a softer metal I was thinking it wouldn't hold up well for this application.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Hair
11-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I would recommend stainless steel tags with Cermark. I would also recommend you check with Ferro, the mfg of Cermark, and ask them if they have tested in the environment you have described and if they can provide the results to you and your customer.

Gary

Mike Null
11-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Cermark on stainless will work just fine. You can also use anodized aluminum.

Dan Hintz
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I would recommend stainless steel tags with Cermark. I would also recommend you check with Ferro, the mfg of Cermark, and ask them if they have tested in the environment you have described and if they can provide the results to you and your customer.

Ever seen Ferro's pics of Cermarked items being used on a "so hot it's cherry-red" turbocharger? Yeah, Cermark is the way to go...

Brian Stezowski
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Hmmm. I didn't think anodized aluminum would hold up. Would this have to be a higher grade as opposed to something that chewbarka might carry?

With the stainless, will that need a protective coating after the engraving is done? What should be used for that?

Thanks- you guys are awesome!

Mike Null
11-30-2012, 2:00 PM
Frank Ricci (Chewbarka) probably makes the size you need and you can verify with him about the durability but I can think of no reason it wouldn't work.