PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Shop Fox dust collector

Dick Holt
11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a Shop Fox dust collector (W1727). It is the 1 HP model. I am getting tired of clearing clogs everytime I use it on my jointer or planer (12"DeWalt). I don't take deep cuts. The chips clog at the inlet to the dust collector. At the inlet, there are two small pieces of metal in the shape of an "X". Its purpose is to prevent large things from entering the machine. Should I just remove these or is there an other solution to the problem? I know suction drops off as the bag fills, so I try to empty it often. Thanks for your help.

Dick

Ole Anderson
11-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I had a 1 hp Penn State 2 bagger with the same problem. Only solution I found was to remove the grid at the fan inlet. Obviously you then need to be careful with offcuts hitting the impeller.

Brett Robson
11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I had the same problem with my old Jet collector I had. At the time, my planer and jointer both were straight knife machines and would clog the collector constantly. I ended up just taking a hacksaw to the metal grill across the opening and had no more problems.

The alternative would be switch to spiral cutterheads in your machines which produce small chips as opposed to the long, thin shavings from the straight knives. Cutting out the grill would, of course, be easier.

Jamie Buxton
11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
You can cut out the cross to reduce clogs there. However, if you use the DC to pick up floor sweepings, don't try to pick up hand-plane shavings. They'll wrap themselves around the impeller, and you'll have to unbolt covers to get them off.

Erik Loza
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I used to travel the country, years ago, with one of our 12" combo machines to the various woodworking shows. Our dust collector was always one of the small, single-bagger types like you are describing, because that is what fit best in the traveling show crate. The one feature I most dreaded demo'ing at these shows was the planer because it took FOREVER to clean out the DC afterward. LOL, 45 seconds of planing followed by 15 minutes of picking wads of sawdust out of the collector and the hose, because it inevitably clogged. You just need a better DC, no way around it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bill White
11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Why not use a separator in line before the DC?
Bill

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2012, 10:46 PM
That little grid is a safety requirement to keep your fingers out of impeller. Cut um out, and file the rough edges.

Myk Rian
12-02-2012, 9:06 AM
Why not use a separator in line before the DC?
Bill
I use a trash can separator, and have cut the grid out.
The can separator came after cutting out the grid.

Dick Holt
12-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I think I will cut out the metal grille. I thought about using a separator, but in my small basement shop space is at a premium and also, it makes moving the dust collector more difficult.