PDA

View Full Version : Got Juice!

Glenn Kotnik
11-30-2012, 6:29 AM
My new workshop is really taking shape, I wired in the meter base and load center, and yesterday the power company trenched in the lines and hooked up the power, all 200 amps of it. They wanted one circuit installed, a GFI receptacle, so they could test the ground and power. So I have one working receptacle now. Two weeks ago I went down to the city building and asked for an electrical permit to set the meter base. I was surprised when they told me they don't issue electrical permits. So I went home and wired in the base as per power company instructions. I called the building inspector and he told me he is not going to do an electrical inspection because it is not a dwelling. He is not going to inspect anything inside other than the framing, so when that's signed off he's done. So I'm hooking things up on my own following the Do-it Yourself electrical book.

The painting is finished, I'm really happy with the way the siding and trim turned out and the shop looks like an old country farm building, just like I planned. The stone guys did a great job also. It's nice the way they put stone trim under the door sills. The interior is my job and I anticipate it will be April until I am ready to rent the fork lift and move in. The propane tank is coming next week so I should have heat and light and it will be cozy working inside. Right now my wife and I are pulling wire and putting in boxes. This weekend we will start painting and putting up the ceiling plywood so that I can mount the fluorescent strip lights. The little shed you see in the trenching photo is the building where I store several hundred Bf of hardwood.

Carl Beckett
11-30-2012, 8:40 AM
Exciting.

I also am in the process of running a new service. I am envious of your neat/tidy/small trenches. Not to mention the fact the power company did it for you!

Well done and looking forward to seeing you all moved in - what a great space!

Glenn Kotnik
11-30-2012, 8:55 AM
REMC is a wonderful customer oriented company out here, I can't begin to thank them enough. They checked my wiring into the load center for me to be sure I had the big boys hooked up properly. Looks like I got things right so far.

Todd Burch
11-30-2012, 9:01 AM
Glenn, that's an awesome looking shop you got there! I hope mine will look that nice.

Todd

Sam Layton
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Glenn,

Your new shop is sure taking shape. It looks outstanding. When I built my shop, the city made me get permits for everything. They want as much money as they could get. In addition, the city allows you to build a maximum of 900 sq feet on a stand alone building. When they were looking at my plans, the city guy said, you have 911 sq feet. I said OK. He said, you can only have 900 sq ft. He made me take my plans home, and take off 11 sq ft.

I really like the style of your shop. You have the shop of all shops. It will be nice when you get the lights up and on. Seems to make a difference when you can walk in and turn the lights on.

Great job, keep the photo's coming, Sam

Gordon Eyre
12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Hey Glen, it looks like you have gone all out to make yourself a comfortable shop. This is going to be really nice for you and I bet you are excited to move in. Congratulations on a nice build.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2012, 1:03 PM
Glenn.....what a gorgeous shop! Pleasing to the eye and when you are done I am sure you will enjoy it!

Michael Dromey
12-01-2012, 2:08 PM
Very nice. I am happy for you. Have you waited for a while for this? I will have one that big someday. I bet you cant wait until you are all set up.

Glenn Kotnik
12-01-2012, 8:06 PM
You're right, Sam, the city did suck as money out of me as it could, I had to apply for a variance to decrease the rear setback to 20 ft.. That cost 600 bucks and you loose it even if you don't get the variance approved. Then there's the 600 bucks for the building permit itself. This is my dream-come-true shop that I have hoped for since I got my first table saw years ago. My garage shop is dark and crowded, and the cars sit out in the drive all year round. I wanted a shop that would please the neighbors as well, and be pleasing for them to look at, something with architectural style fitting the rural farm country around here. The white country houses and barns with green high pitched roofs have seemed to be a staple of the american countryside since colonial days, and this is the type of building I want to work in as I look ahead to retirement.

But this would never been possible or affordable without my great neighbor, builder, fellow woodworker and friend, Ryan. I really can't believe I got such a quality building for so little money, I am really indebted to him. Well I guess I had better get back to pulling wire so I'll be able to flip that switch like Sam said.

Sam Layton
12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I also had to get a variance when I remodeled my house. The city required a 35' setback, and I needed a 30' setback. It was a lot of work to reduce the setback to 30', but it made a big difference in our master bedroom.

I agree with you about the looks of the shop building. You would never know that yours is a shop. It looks outstanding. You probably realize that you don't need a house... You will never want to leave your shop, ever...

Sam

Scott Wigginton
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice looking panel, it'll fill up fast! I'm in the middle of building new house with an attached garage/workshop with one of my 200-amp panels and I recommend you protect your investments with either a meter-socket or panel-circuit surge protector.

Another thing I did is run a 100-amp subpanel that is for my big tools so that I can keep them de-energized so curious kids (and their friends) can't start blades spinning, might not apply for you but food for thought