PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Chuck

Jim Stewart
11-29-2012, 4:45 PM
I don't turn a great deal but I would like to expand my horizons by adding a chuck to my lathe if possible. Two questions:I have a Conover Lathe and the drive spindle has outside threads; the threads being 1/8" apart and the threaded spindle is 1.5 inches in diameter. I assume that is what the chuck would mount to. If so how do I describe that thread pattern? Second, Could someone give me an idea on what to buy when it comes to chucks? Thanks, Jim

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 4:51 PM
contact Ernie C and get the proper size & thread ..then get any chuck that fits..they all are good. my preference is Vicmarc, but even cheaper ones from PSI and Grizzly work ok

Michael Gaynes
11-29-2012, 5:18 PM
Jim,

I have the same lathe. The spindle is 1-1/2" X 8 TPI.

Grizzly has a chuck with that spindle size (H7820) that I own and find quite adequate for the amount of turning that I do. I also own a couple of sets of Vicmarc jaws since the Grizzly is a knock-off of that brand and the jaws are interchangeable.

Bruce Markwardt
11-29-2012, 5:30 PM
Wow - two more people with Conover lathes. I thought I had the only one left!

I have a Supernova 2 that I bought reconditioned off the Nova website. It is threaded 1-1/2" X 8 and can be used on a Conover without an insert. Its a nice chuck and the price of the reconditioned chucks is pretty reasonable. Nova sells a full line of jaws, so it is also pretty flexible.

Jim Stewart
11-29-2012, 5:39 PM
Great! I see that Woodcraft has the Supernova II on sale for $200. I will check and see what eh Grizzlys are.

Harry Robinette
11-29-2012, 6:53 PM
I may have been told wrong but I don't think so But you need to check about the Nova Chuck.The Nova people told me that the threads on the inside of there chucks is a special thread and will not fit any lathe correctly you have to have an insert. I would call Nova and I think I may do that tomorrow.

Bruce Markwardt
11-29-2012, 7:37 PM
I've been using my Nova chuck directly on my Conover for the past year with no insert and I haven't had any issues.

Michael Mills
11-29-2012, 9:29 PM
For the SN2 here is their service center. $100 plus insert and shipping. Everyone that I have seen who posted states they look brand new. Or $160 on Amazon with free shipping.
http://novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm

Leo Van Der Loo
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Vicmarc has a chuck and insert that fits a 1.5" X 8 TPI spindle

Oneway Stronghold has a Conover insert for that chuck to fit the Conover lathe

Grizzly has a Vicmarc knockoff that should fit as well

Mike Cruz
12-02-2012, 9:56 PM
The Grizzly knockoff of the Vicmarc 90 is just over $100. Great chuck for the money... I have 2.