PDA

View Full Version : Help making an offer for some tools

Bob Vavricka
11-29-2012, 4:04 PM
I found some tools for sell that the seller wants me to make an offer on. The first is a Delta Shaper 43-454 that has a SECO three wheel, 1 hp. stock feeder. I would say they both look to be in fair to good condition. I have two concerns about the shaper. First it doesn't have the factory fence. It has a homemade fence that is just a piece of plywood laying flat and a box shape with a hole in the back that covers the cutter and spindle. Second it has a slight vibration when it is running which I think might be the belt needs replaced. It sounds good when it is running, not like a bad bearing. It has only one spindle which I didn't measure, but it is at least 1". It would also include what looks like a cabinet door set of Sanborn cutters including a panel raising cutter.

The other tool is a Delta 20" surface planer 22-451 which appears to be in fair to good condition. I was able to turn it on and it sounded OK and the feed rolls were turning.

I am open to suggestions of a range to offer for these. Is the missing fence a deal breaker on the shaper?
Thanks,
Bob V.

Thomas Hotchkin
11-29-2012, 4:47 PM
Bob
I have the Delta 43-437 shaper that I picked this year, complete with two spindles, fence, and some cutters and router bit holders for $550. It needed spindle bearings. After replacing both bearing, I think it is a little light in bearing size for large cutters and will be looking for a good deal on a Powermatic 27 shaper. Also there is no Delta part support, so as parts dry up you may be out of luck. Powermatic still sells some new parts for the 27 model. On the other side I have heard some good reports from fellow WW on Grizzly's 3 HP shaper. Tom

Stephen Cherry
11-29-2012, 5:22 PM
Is the missing fence a deal breaker on the shaper?
Thanks,
Bob V.

What do you want to to do with the shaper? If you just want to make doors, I would not be too worried about the fence, except resale value. I've recently seen similar shapers for about 500 each with small delta feeders. Also, there are recent threads about this class of machine. Single phase, three phase? The bearings can be serviced, the belts do go bad. I definatly would not overpay, because for about 1k you can get a very substantial shaper.

Jeff Duncan
11-29-2012, 7:08 PM
Bob, prices vary wildly depending on where your located and what's available. I wouldn't worry too much about the stock fence as most of them were junk anyway. You can use shop made fences or pick up an aftermarket fence with a little looking around. In my area a Delta shaper depending on condition may go anywhere from $600 - $1000 and good feeders are usually in the $450 and up club as well.

Thomas, I've owned both and your not going to see a big difference going to the Powermatic. The bearings may be slightly bigger.....slightly. If your looking for a beefier shaper you may want to think about a jump to something along the lines of a Minimax.....or if your not afraid of 3 phase there's a lot of old machinery out there going for short money these days.

good luck,
JeffD

Bob Vavricka
11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Any ideas what the planer would be worth? The cutter set for the shaper is a Freeborn brazed set which looks to be a high dollar item.