PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Find

Jim Koepke
11-29-2012, 3:25 PM
An old boxwood 15" ruler, 25¢. The brass edge is missing and there is a split at one end. Since it is 1/4" thick, my thought is to use it on a 1/4" dado plane I want to make some day.

Here it is with the "Itty Bitty Cinnamon Roll" my wife wanted me to pick up for her while I was in town. The menu calls them "Itty Bitty Cinnamon Rolls."

We like to slice them and make French Toast for breakfast, yuummmmmmmmmmm.

jtk

Jim Matthews
11-29-2012, 4:05 PM
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

- B. Kliban

Gary Herrmann
11-29-2012, 6:42 PM
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

- B. Kliban

Geez, I still remember what the cover of that book looked like.

Bill Houghton
11-29-2012, 9:12 PM
Geez, I still remember what the cover of that book looked like.

This is a good sign. It's when you can remember that you should remember something - then you need to worry.

Randy Karst
11-29-2012, 9:20 PM
It has been a long day at work and guys, I must tell you I am greatly appreciating your humor here; it lifted me up just a bit-thanks!

Jack Curtis
11-30-2012, 12:41 AM
An old boxwood 15" ruler, 25¢. The brass edge is missing and there is a split at one end. Since it is 1/4" thick, my thought is to use it on a 1/4" dado plane I want to make some day....

Do you mean as boxing? If so, watch the grain, which can't be boxed with the grain.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Do you mean as boxing? If so, watch the grain, which can't be boxed with the grain.

Thanks for the tip.

My plan is to make a small plow plane with a short sole. It will be my first.

The ruler is 15". Cutting off three inches carefully will leave a nice 12" ruler.

jtk

george wilson
11-30-2012, 8:07 AM
Jim,that old ruler is really made of maple. They all were. Boxwood has no grain or chatoyance showing like that. sorry. Boxwood is completely featureless(unless it is defective). It is light yellow,gradually turning a nice nut brown color over many years.

Todd Burch
11-30-2012, 8:14 AM
Oh, man Jim!! You wasted a quarter!!

Ed Looney
11-30-2012, 8:22 AM
Jim I think the gloat about the cinnamon role was worth the quarter you had to spend on the ruler to have "wood" content in your post.

Ed

george wilson
11-30-2012, 9:08 AM
If you want,I can send you some boxwood for boxing your plane.

Todd Burch
11-30-2012, 9:10 AM
George - what a guy.

That reminds me - I bought some gold at an estate sale yesterday... got it home, and it was really brass. I was going to make a ring for my wife. Got any gold George? :p

george wilson
11-30-2012, 9:58 AM
I only have a little 18kt.,and some remnants of 22 kt. left over from making the gold heart and earrings struck into the steel die I have posted before-a retirement present for an old secretary I had made order a lot of stuff!! I wanted to repay her.

I can't even find my 18 kt. It's somewhere in my overcrowded shop.

My boxwood supply is enough to share a little,though!!:) Mostly the trouble of mailing stuff rather than giving it.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2012, 1:00 PM
George,

Thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM.

Guess the ruler will have to remain a ruler.

jtk