PDA

View Full Version : Raising the grain on cutting boards.

Joe Unni
04-24-2005, 9:23 AM
I just finished making a few cutting boards with one being for myself. Nothing fancy just a simple maple board. Upon completion of sanding and oiling (mineral) they were as smooth as silk.

After the first use and wiping clean with damp cloth and then drying, the surface became "furry". Was this because I didn't raise the grain before oiling?

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Jim Becker
04-24-2005, 9:26 AM
Raising the grain first before putting on the mineral oil will help, but it sometimes takes more than one shot at it in my experience. You can resand lightly with 320 at any time, even after you've applied the oil...the oil does not keep water off of or out of the wood which is why you get a few more fuzzies after you start using it.

John Hart
04-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I've made a number of cutting boards and butcher blocks over the years and it's been my basic understanding that a cutting board made the right way is never really "finished". I've found the best success to be an understanding that the user must care for a cutting board differently than anything else in the kitchen.

The oil that I use is either Almond oil, Lemon oil, or Walnut oil. I'll sand the maple to a glass texture and put a good 10-20 coats of oil on it over a few weeks. I clean mine with very little water and baking soda and then re-oiled.

Some oils are toxic and some promote germs so it's a good idea to watch that.

I agree with Jim that you could take 320 or 400 to sand it down after oiling and then oil it again. They seem to get better with age.

Russ Filtz
04-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I've read that any organic based oil can go rancid. I would stick to mineral oil. There's so little on there, you don't have to worry about a "laxative" effect! :eek:

Joe Unni
04-24-2005, 2:55 PM
Thanks y'all.

-joe

Kent Cori
04-24-2005, 7:33 PM
I've had very good luck with walnut oil. It does not go rancid and seems to have more "staying power" than mineral oil However, there is the very remote possibility that someone with a nut alergy could react to it. Since nobody in my family or circle of friends is so aflicted, the walnut oil works great for me.

John Hart
04-25-2005, 6:42 AM
Hmmm..Yep, I'd have to agree with you Kent. I would be leary of a broad term like "all organic oils". I'd have to read that article m'self and see what properties are being cited. I've had very good results with the oils I mentioned. It is accepted that vegetable oils are not a good idea because they tend to go rancid, but not walnut, almond, or lemon.