PDA

View Full Version : Idimw ii

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Almost a total copy of IDIMW I but a few differences. Going out this year as a holiday gift. maple, about 9 inches in diameter. I had forgotten how intricate & how long it took to make the first one:o. Glad I didn't remember;) or everyone would have gotten a pen this year! HA!! :D

Roger Chandler
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Awesome as usual Michelle........thanks for sharing with us!

Dan Hintz
11-29-2012, 1:07 PM
Michelle,

I'm curious... do you plan the route ahead of time (draw a pic, etc.), or do you just lay down the bit and start cutting?

Doug W Swanson
11-29-2012, 1:12 PM
Looks nice, Michelle. I think the only improvement would be one of your copper patina pieces for the center medallion...

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-29-2012, 1:20 PM
I'm starting to see less and less wood and more and more air. That means the linking pieces are getting tiny and your skill making these things is bounding. Looks great Michelle.
faust

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 2:07 PM
Dan: do I plan ahead of time? Do you really think the precision required to make these pieces can be done without thought? I design & consider how much space I will have left..i design to get a great look..I design to make sure there is enough strength left in the piece. I use digital calipers and other precision measring techniques..And you know what..I still screw up and pieces have to be trashed., because it's hard to think in so many planes and what will one action do to the rest..
My question back to you..I guess you are Assuming I'm using a router?(you used the word Bit.). Over the years many people have thought so..if that were true, would you please tell me how one would control that router and get the precision?? I'd love to know. Maybe it's a segmentation..maybe it's a bunch of processes all brought together & turned..start thinking outside the box...

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 2:20 PM
Many thanks Faust

Jay Jolliffe
11-29-2012, 4:23 PM
Any chance doing a tutorial on one of these works of art. Great job & I'd like to see how it's done.

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 4:48 PM
have done 3..apparantly you missed them..go to Lumberjocks..look up michelletwo..

Eric Gourieux
11-29-2012, 5:11 PM
Michelle, I think you secretly have a computerized laser that cuts these out for you at the push of a button. Seriously, though, whatever you've come up with to create these is brilliant. It shows your skill and determination.

Dick Mahany
11-29-2012, 7:08 PM
That is very cool. I could envision a couple of these designs, mounted back to back arranged on a rotational axis and rotating at different speeds / direstions. Could make for some fascinating live patterns.

Timothy Mann
11-29-2012, 7:12 PM
One of the most original things I have seen on this site.

Dave Mueller
11-29-2012, 7:16 PM
Michelle,
Is it in my mind or is each one of these getting more delicate than the last - more air, less wood? Doesn't look like there is much holding it together, but then I guess that was the idea. Well done.

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 7:42 PM
;)go for it Dick!

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2012, 8:39 PM
Beautiful piece Michelle. I always love seeing these pieces.

Dan Hintz
11-29-2012, 8:49 PM
Dan: do I plan ahead of time? Do you really think the precision required to make these pieces can be done without thought? I design & consider how much space I will have left..i design to get a great look..I design to make sure there is enough strength left in the piece. I use digital calipers and other precision measring techniques..And you know what..I still screw up and pieces have to be trashed., because it's hard to think in so many planes and what will one action do to the rest..
My question back to you..I guess you are Assuming I'm using a router?(you used the word Bit.). Over the years many people have thought so..if that were true, would you please tell me how one would control that router and get the precision?? I'd love to know. Maybe it's a segmentation..maybe it's a bunch of processes all brought together & turned..start thinking outside the box...

Some people are just capable of designing as they go and usually end up with a great piece... I'm not one of those people, but I envy those who can. I have to plan everything to the last letter beforehand. After all of that, if I was forced to trash a piece I would be very upset.

If I had to recreate one of those pieces without knowing your exact process, this would be my method:
1) Spin it to get the overall shape front and back
2) Cut the grooves into the front, continually checking I've hit the correct depth (to be fair, if I was in a hurry I might use a router to cut the front rings)
3) I would definitely think a router did the back... ever-decreasing circular templates to make the circumferential cuts, with possible radial stops to start/end the circumferential at the desired locations.
4) Cut the "knob" to go on the front

Of course, if I was in a real hurry I'd program my CNC to do it, throw a blank on the table, and have some vino while the chips flew ;)

I take it from your comments using a router is not how you do it, so unless I were to segment that bad boy or carve it by hand, I can't immediately think of how it's done. The eccentric (as in off-axis, not abnormal) stuff is easily recognizable as such, but if this is done solely with the lathe, I'm at a loss as to the method.

Either way, it's tough to argue with the final pieces... I love the designs, they're pieces I would buy myself.

Curt Fuller
11-29-2012, 9:02 PM
Well, I've been a fan of you negative space designs from the beginning. But I've always thought there was some multi axis work along with some router work. I also know that you are a master of working wood by hand (from your chair work I've seen). So now you've got me curious, without divulging any trade secrets because your work truly is unique, what tools are you using for these?

Baxter Smith
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Looks like a whole lot of space in this one Michele! I would be hard pressed to say which I like more, the ones where I can see a pattern, or the ones where I can't.:)

Kathy Marshall
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Another winner Michelle! I'm not even going to try an wrap my brain around how you do these, but youv'e definitely got the process down! I think it would be cool to get a pic with a little shining on the front to thrown shadows on the background.

Ron Crosby
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
That wooden piece looks like a burner from an electric stove! ;)
(at first glance, that is.)

Michelle Rich
11-30-2012, 6:08 AM
Dan..Your tools are worth more than my house & car..I'm sure I'd change my methods if I had your advantages. I have just struggled along with a poor old woman's shop, and a brain that sees what other's do not. I'm glad you like my pieces. I do too, and I'm very proud to have done what no other turner ever has done.

Tim Rinehart
11-30-2012, 7:29 AM
Nice bit of air that you've embellished with curvy connecting wood strips...or what Faust said. I agree that the complexity of these and likely degree of difficulty is on the rise. This will make a fantastic gift.

Michelle Rich
11-30-2012, 7:58 AM
Tim: Ha! I loved your description of "embellished air"!!!:D