PDA

View Full Version : Something totally different

Dave Mueller
11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
I got a Vermec sphere turning jig and therefore was obliged to turn a sphere and this is my first attempt. Wasn't sure exactly what to do with a sphere, so this is what I came up with. It is 12" tall and the sphere is 5" in diameter. The base is jatoba finished with CA. The sphere is poplar, covered with dutch metal and patinated. In hindsight, the top ring is too bulky and should have been a little more delicate. However, I wasn't sure how strong it needed to be. Any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated, although I'll probably never make another one.
Dave

Allan Ferguson
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Pretty neat!

James Combs
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Definitely out of the box. Fit and finish look excellent, well executed. Reminds me of a nice trophy of some kind.

Michelle Rich
11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I think it looks great..very appealing colors/match will look good on your braggin' shelves

Ted Calver
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Very nice! Looks like a globe.

Roger Chandler
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Proportionately, I think you got the dimmensions just about right.......it does not look top heavy, and the symmetry between the base and top ring are good.........if anything perhaps the columns could have been just a tad thinner.......that would have nailed it in my opinion.

Very nice work on the sphere and the patination is beautifully done!

Thom Sturgill
11-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I think maybe the stand is too tall.
It was easy to play with the height to see what it would look like. Lifting the sphere is a GOOD idea, but visually I think your stand has too much weight. Thinning might help, but changing the height works also. the idea would be to get the overall height, including the sphere, to work as a vertical golden rectangle, while the base alone makes a horizontal golder rectangle. Good job on the turning and finish for the ball and stand.

Doug W Swanson
11-29-2012, 1:09 PM
I don't think I'd chance the top ring. It balances well just the way it is. IMHO at least....

Looks nice. The color on the sphere goes great with the woods you chose....

Rick Markham
11-29-2012, 1:23 PM
Dave the sphere is awesome! Love the patinization it looks incredible. I agree with Thom's edit. By shortening the stand, you're emphasizing the subject (the sphere itself.) You guys are making it very difficult not to try patinization... truth is I have a wild idea that's been turning in my head. :D

Dave Mueller
11-29-2012, 7:12 PM
Everyone,
Thanks for the comments. Roger, hadn't thought about the legs, good suggestion. Thom, what a difference that makes, thanks for taking the time to edit the photo. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Rick, I took a patinization class from David Marks and am always looking for ways to use it...am working on something now, but it appears that it was much better in my mind than in the real thing. Might post it if I get more comfortable with it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2012, 8:41 PM
Cool piece Dave.

Baxter Smith
11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Very nice work Dave! Made me google what a vermec was. One of the most appealing patinated pieces I have seen.

Kathy Marshall
11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
That's a beauty Dave! The patination looks awesome! I actually like the stand both ways, each one gives it a different look but I think it looks good either way.

steven carter
11-30-2012, 9:05 AM
Very nice job on the sphere, the patination is superb. I like the original stand much better than the short stand. The taller stand sweeps my eye upward to the reward of seeing the sphere.

Dave Mueller
11-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone. If there is interest, I can put together a short "How To" on what I did with the patination. Nothing unique, just a couple of lessons learned.
Dave