PDA

View Full Version : New Delta Unisaws

Jim Stewart
11-28-2012, 3:45 PM
I have one of the new model Delta Unisaws. I use it with a Tenyru Gold blade. I really like this saw. The dust collection is great. I use the guard, splitter, and anti kickback pawls and I have learned to love those as well. I have become very safety conscious in my old age and I believe that this saw is safe if I practice good safety. I am do woodworking for a hobby but in the Winter I am in the shop quite a bit. OK, I was just wondering if these things are going to go away. I see Sawstop and other brands mentioned here a lot but not the Delta. Anybody else have one of these? Do you intend to keep it? I did get a good deal I think. I bought the saw unused from a guy that I know for $1800. Sold my old Uni 1.5hp for $800 so it fit my budget. Any thought appreciated. Jim

glenn bradley
11-28-2012, 3:51 PM
The new Uni pretty much gets good reviews from owners. It may be one of the last fingerholds that Delta has on the home shop market. I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of Delta discussion. Some brands still get folks very emotionally involved like Powermatic and Saw Satop. Delta has just lost a bit of its sheen as it gets bought and sold. They are currently making the best drill press for under $1000 that I've seen in a long time. At the price you paid for your saw I would be all smiles.

Chris Rosenberger
11-28-2012, 6:51 PM
I have had one of the new design Unisaws since they first came out. I would never consider replacing it.
If you decide to sell yours, let me know. I would like to add a second one in my shop.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2012, 7:25 PM
My local Woodcraft store owner tells me no one buys anything but Sawstops from him, even when he had others in stock. Once he got out from those he stopped stocking anything else.

I've seen the two saws (Unisaw and Sawstop PCS) side by side and both are really nice saws. Unfortunately they are also practically the same price and its hard to notice a glaring feature difference. Additionally, Delta has a major PR problem on their hands between parts availability and the whole rebate sham. Sawstop has their own PR issues but at least there's a major pro in most customer's minds to offset them. From what I've seen Sawstop's customer service is top notch as well. Long story involving a bad Craigslist deal, but I've also helped disassemble and reassembly a Sawstop with all new electronics and some other parts and its really well constructed.

Is Delta going away? There's no way anyone here is going to be able to predict that. They've certainly been on a downward spiral the last couple years. Then again most reports had Steel City dead and they seem to be slowly bouncing back. I bought a Delta drill press at the beginning of the year. Love the machine, hope I don't live to regret buying from them.

As far as keeping it, you have to make that decision. If there's something about another saw that you want, then you have to decide if the cost of replacement would be worth it.

Jim Stewart
11-28-2012, 8:38 PM
Thanks guys. No I think I will keep it. It is likely to outlast me as it does seem to be a quality saw. I suppose I should have known that the future of Delta is an unknown. This saw is sweet. Maybe someone will come up with another method of stopping a saw that would retrofit. If that does not happen it may kill the future of the saw. I will keep it because I like it so well. I have 8" dado blades and a box set that would not work on a sawstop. Thanks for the response...we can let the subject die here.

richard poitras
11-28-2012, 8:51 PM
Love my new Delta saw and drill press .... kowning me I will keep em untill somthing better comes along :)

Greg Portland
11-29-2012, 1:10 PM
I have one of the new model Delta Unisaws. I use it with a Tenyru Gold blade. I really like this saw. The dust collection is great. I use the guard, splitter, and anti kickback pawls and I have learned to love those as well. I have become very safety conscious in my old age and I believe that this saw is safe if I practice good safety. I am do woodworking for a hobby but in the Winter I am in the shop quite a bit. OK, I was just wondering if these things are going to go away. I see Sawstop and other brands mentioned here a lot but not the Delta. Anybody else have one of these? Do you intend to keep it? I did get a good deal I think. I bought the saw unused from a guy that I know for $1800. Sold my old Uni 1.5hp for $800 so it fit my budget. Any thought appreciated. Jim
There are folks here who use equipment from manufacturers who no longer exist (check out vintage machinery dot org). Often, spare parts remain available (patterns and molds get bought up by a different company). I wouldn't worry about it...