PDA

View Full Version : ZCI Throat Plate for Left Tilt Uni

Larry Fox
11-28-2012, 2:56 PM
Up to this point I have been making my own ZCI throat plates for my 2005-vintage X5 Left-tilt Uni out of 1/2 MDF and it has worked great but is kinda a pain. I am looking for a good throat plate with replacable inserts that I can throw on the XMAS list for my wife to pick up. Anyone use one and have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your time

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-28-2012, 4:00 PM
I have had a Wood Dynamics for my right tilt Unisaw for 20 years. I highly recommend it, if they are still being made. I like being able to make and easily modify my own inserts. I have around 20 inserts for different blades and dado thicknesses.

John TenEyck
11-28-2012, 4:17 PM
Why not make your own insert out of BB plywood with a replacable insert?

John

Bruce Wrenn
11-28-2012, 9:29 PM
I have had a Wood Dynamics for my right tilt Unisaw for 20 years. I highly recommend it, if they are still being made. I like being able to make and easily modify my own inserts. I have around 20 inserts for different blades and dado thicknesses.Over at several other forums, you will find a link to making your own ZCI using 1/2" thick aluminum and ordinary wood cutting tools, mainly a band saw and router table. It's on my bucket list.

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-28-2012, 9:52 PM
Over at several other forums, you will find a link to making your own ZCI using 1/2" thick aluminum and ordinary wood cutting tools, mainly a band saw and router table. It's on my bucket list.
I made one for the table saw where I work (I cheated and used a CNC mill though). The saw is a Grizzly Contractors saw, but other than the slot location, it's mostly identical to my Unisaw ZCI.

Jim Neeley
11-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I use 1/2" Corian for my left-tilt Uni (new style). If you befriend your local Corian countertop installer, they typically have the sink cutouts as waste. Offer them a six-pack or even for free and you might be surprised at what you get. Mine uses the 1/2" inserts as well so it's just a matter of finding the correct waste. Corian can also be planed down if its too thick although it makes a heckuva mess.

Randy Gillard
11-29-2012, 11:49 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=55985&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1