PDA

View Full Version : Basic clamp set?

Rob Dickson
11-28-2012, 2:55 PM
G'Day all,

As a new woodworker I'm slowly putting together my tool kit. While I have some clamps already, they have been more of the construction type clamps (Irwin quick grips, "C" clamps) that I've used during home renovations, etc. Now that I'm progressing towards more "fine" woodworking I'm looking at collecting some dedicated clamps...can anyone suggest a "basic" set that is commonly used? Just wondering the pros and cons of pipe clamps vs. K body clamps and the most common sizes used. I'm not even sure what to look for in a quality clamp! Any advice is appreciated....

Thanks!

Bill Houghton
11-28-2012, 3:17 PM
My clamps are assembled, by and large, from yard sales; so my experience may not be much help.

Two to four pipe clamps.
Bar clamps in several lengths (12", 24"), a few each.
When you can afford them, a couple of handscrews in the No. 0 size (jaws 8" long, 4" opening)
Some spring clamps like those pictured below, 2" and 3". It's painfully hard to say this, because I prefer buying quality, but 99 cent plastic clamps are better than the steel ones, by and large - they are less likely to mark the work. If you're clamping narrow strips, like some moldings, though, the steel clamps have their place - plastic clamps tend to have swivel jaws that slip off narrow work.

The saying is you can never have too many clamps, and that's probably true to some degree. But you will find you use some clamps a lot more than others.

Keep in mind, too, that there ways to clamp that don't involve boughten clamps. If you're clamping something that would normally need a strap clamp, some clothesline or similar line wrapped around and tightened with a Spanish windlass (Google the phrase if you're not familiar with it; a picture explains it better than words, but for some reason, I can't load images here today) will do the work. And, if you're gluing up a panel, blocks of wood nailed to something - the floor, the workbench, a piece of plywood - with folding wedges (two wedges pointing in opposite directions will present a flat face to the work) will clamp it up.

Sam Murdoch
11-28-2012, 3:26 PM
For building doors, panels, cabinets, assembling table tops, attaching face frames I can't find a better clamp than the Bessey K body. I always wish I had more and in more sizes from 18" to 50". http://www.besseytools.com/en/product_details.php?ASIMOID=000000010001c7f5000200 23&ASIMOID_SC=000000010003897c00020023&ASIMOID_MC=000000000001f3f000030023 Of course Bessey makes lots of great lighter duty clamps too.

The basic Jorgensen wood clamp in the smaller 4", 6" to 12" or 14" lengths are extremely versatile http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2004136/9237/JORGENSEN-MINI-LIGHTDUTY-BAR-CLAMP-2-THROAT-DEPTH-4-CAPACITY.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CNWqo_W78rMCFU-d4Aod7nYABw

A surprise was how extremely useful the Festool screw clamps have proven to be. The long bar on one end with the padded swivel at the other end comes in very handy in surprising ways. http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/screw-clamps/p/489570/ Every shop ought to have at least 2 :)

Also eventually essential are some deep throated clamps. I have a pile of very heavy iron Weltzers in 18" & 60" lengths that are wonderful. http://www.enter.net/~wetzler/index.html I would not think to buy these today considering the kind of woodworking I do but when I need a powerful or deep clamp these are excellent. I would likely buy a lighter version than what I have but I would definitely have some deep throats in the shop.

AND - these too for holding miters in trim work. These are very, very good -http://www.garymkatz.com/ToolReviews/miter_clamps.html

Band clamps, bar clamps, c-clamps all good to own and in time you will have many versions but the above are my go to clamps.

Jim Matthews
11-28-2012, 5:45 PM
The K-body design is really useful for assembling case work.

I find the smaller "F" style clamp more flexible.
The deeper clearance clamps are more useful.

There's no substitute for the power of the traditional Jorgensen handscrew clamp.
I use these often, and the wooden bodies can be replaced if needed.

I would not order particularly long clamps until the job demands them.
My longest clamps are rattling around the back of the rack.

If it's longer than my forearm, it's hard to swing around my bench.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Sure-Foot-F-Style-Clamp-18/dp/B004FS3TO2

Jim Neeley
11-28-2012, 6:28 PM
The first question is what kinds of projects you see yourself starting with. I suggest that you approach this with the philosophy of adding clamps on an ongoing basis, based on your next or upcoming project needs.

By that I mean if you really want to get into making small boxes you need smaller ones while if you want to get into building a kitchen load of cabinets or an entertainment center, your needs will be very different. In my case my first large project was building a workbench top that ended up at 3-3/4" x 3' x 7'. For that project I purchased eight 40" Bessey K-body's and eight 52" k-body's, totaling about $800 in clamps. Although I needed the long clamps for this project I suspect it'll be a while before I utilize them all at once again. Still, I have them when that time comes.

Joe A Faulkner
11-28-2012, 7:15 PM
(4) 4' Pipe Clamps or K Bodies (Bessey, Jet, Jorgense) if you can afford them
(4) 30" Pipe Clamps or 36" K Bodies if you can afford them
(4) 24" F clamps - Jorgensen
(4) 18" F clamps - Jorgensen
(4) 12" F clamps - Jorgensen
(4) 6" Irwin Quick Release

Supplement or substitute has needed based on your next project requirements. Acquaint yourself with the prices and watch for sales.

Mistakes I've made in this area - tried the generic F clamps, generic pipe clamp components as well as the generic black and orange quick release clamps - junk, junk, junk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-28-2012, 8:26 PM
All the suggestions are great; I love my K-Bodies and quality F Clamps. But lately I've been using less and less clamps. My last project, I didn't clamp the dovetails. I've been drawboring my mortises. Panel glue-ups I've been doing with two battens nailed to my bench and wedges. Wedges actually work great in a lot of instances. I do love handscrew clamps. They're particularly useful for lots of odd tasks when you start realizing how easily you can clamp a handscrew clamp holding your workpiece to a bench top, or in a vise to present the work in a more convenient fashion for working on.

Not to suggest to avoid buying clamps (if you buy quality, of course) just saying don't be afraid to think outside the box to get the job done.

One thing that's been really helpful and helped me do more with fewer clamps is a slightly curved clamping caul - I actually have a few of the "bowclamp" brand caul, but you can fashion a version yourself.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2012, 8:41 PM
My clamps have been assembled by just buying more as they can be afforded.

Pipe clamps are nice since changing length is just a matter of changing the pipe.

C-clamps in all sizes are handy.

It isn't too difficult to make your own out of wood scraps.

Some say it is impossible to have too many clamps.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
11-28-2012, 9:35 PM
Rob:

I can't add much to the great advice already shared. However, don't be tempted to add to the stable by buying cheap clamps!

They rack, twist, bow and just cause grief.

Have fun -

Dave B

Rob Dickson
11-28-2012, 9:47 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice....I was actually getting a little depressed at the prospect of shelling out large amounts of money for clamps when I'm also trying to buy my sharpening set, basic planes and the other "fun" things I need. Looks like I can modify that somewhat. I'm planning on following along the "Joiners apprentice" projects beginning with the packing boxes, and progressing from there. Can anyone say what the most common or versatile clamp length would be? I don't have ready access to clamps where I live ( the big box stores don't carry them) so I'll most likely buy whatever I need from Lee Valley.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Can anyone say what the most common or versatile clamp length would be? I don't have ready access to clamps where I live ( the big box stores don't carry them) so I'll most likely buy whatever I need from Lee Valley.

That is the reason most of my clamps are of the 3/4" pipe variety. Pipe comes in 8' lengths and can be cut down to 2' and 4' lengths. You may want to get a pipe threader if you are going to do a lot of this. Most of my 2' pipes are cut from 4' pieces. There only needs to be threads on one end.

jtk

Rob Dickson
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
That is the reason most of my clamps are of the 3/4" pipe variety. Pipe comes in 8' lengths and can be cut down to 2' and 4' lengths. You may want to get a pipe threader if you are going to do a lot of this. Most of my 2' pipes are cut from 4' pieces. There only needs to be threads on one end.

jtk

Good point Jim....I can get pipe up here without any issues (as opposed to clamps). I should have thought of the availability issue myself!

Sam Murdoch
11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Can anyone say what the most common or versatile clamp length would be?

Sounds like you already have some basic lengths with the Irwin quick clamps (but they apply minimum pressure).

1) I would suggest that sets of 4 (or more, but 4 at a minimum) in the Bessey or Jorgensen clamps that I have linked to above in the 12" size.

2) 4 of the 30" Bessey K bodies. The 30" are very very useful and though long for some applications they are light enough to use wherever. I would also own a couple of 14" +/- K bodies because they are such good clamps and provide a firm parallel pressure. Very handy size.

3) and then to complete your starter set, add some of the Jorgensen hand screws. The J wood screw clamps are some that I don't currently own but have used often (especially in boat building) because they do clamp at odd angles. They are very well worth having if you can only own a few.

4) As other have said pipe clamps offer limitless range. Buy 4 or 6 sets of heads then get the pipes at your local hardware or lumber store. No sense in buying the light weight heads. Go for 3/4" pipe for the most versatile. Pipe clamps are certainly not as easy to use, have the depth or are as clean as the others but if the choice is none at all pipe clamps are great. Worth buying dedicated shorter clamps though that are not pipes.

Finally, make or buy some clamp head pads for woodworking clamps that offer only metal pads. And then dream of your next clamp purchase :)