PDA

View Full Version : How many safety violations do you see here?

Glen Blanchard
11-28-2012, 1:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1r5RnjJJPQ

Harry Robinette
11-28-2012, 3:38 PM
Don't know how many but speed had to do with allot of it. Do you know what he is making it sure is beyond me.

Richard Hutchings
11-28-2012, 4:14 PM
My guess, it's some sort of lamp.

Don't know how many but speed had to do with allot of it. Do you know what he is making it sure is beyond me.

Reed Gray
11-28-2012, 4:31 PM
Speed wise, he could give Richard Raffen a run for his money. Highly skilled. I wouldn't do it like that though.

robo hippy

Tony De Masi
11-28-2012, 4:50 PM
I kept waiting for him to impale himself on that drill bit. Geesh.

Jamie Donaldson
11-28-2012, 5:14 PM
I wish I could operate a skew that well!

Scott Hackler
11-28-2012, 5:24 PM
The drill dit procedure at the only really "sketchy" thing I saw. I turn spindle work fast (not quite that fast) so I can appreciate a production turners methods. He has probably made hundreds of those things.

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2012, 5:31 PM
Obviously this turner is comfortable using his tool setup! Very impressed with his skew work!

Dinah Becker
11-28-2012, 5:59 PM
He is taking the item off the lathe while it is turning???? Cannot believe he has any hands or eyes left.

Jim Burr
11-28-2012, 6:13 PM
Given the part of the world he's from, he's lucky to have a lathe to begin with! Although not excusable by professional standards, proper equipment and instruction probably don't exist there.

BILL DONAHUE
11-28-2012, 6:39 PM
He may be on a fast track for a job as a eunich in a harem.

John Spitters
11-28-2012, 7:08 PM
Loose shirt sleaves, Unguarded belt from motor to lathe of which he sits right next to, it would not take much to get your hand /shirt etc. caught in it. On / Off switch he needs to reach back over his shoulder for it., and of course I was just waiting for him to impale his manhood / himself on that long drill bit.

Roger Chandler
11-28-2012, 7:31 PM
Oh my! :eek: Where to start? The hazzards have already been spoken to.........I will just add that I admire his skew skills!

Cody Colston
11-28-2012, 8:41 PM
There are no "safety" violations apparent to me. He can do it the way he wants, which is very fast and highly skilled from what I saw. I do stuff in my shop all the time that others might cringe at but it's my shop and my methods pevail.

Ryan Mooney
11-28-2012, 9:11 PM
Whatever else you might say the skew work was worth watching the video for! Very impressive production turning.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2012, 9:22 PM
Rude Osolnik would keep his lathe turning while putting in or taking out his spindle turning blanks or turned pieces, and if you are familiar with production work of any type, the safeties were few and far between, even bypassed to get just a bit more of an advantage or ease of working.

Here's a picture of a USA school lathe as it was used, belt is missing here, but you can see how that was run.

Using a lathe that is safe for a fool is going to be very hard to use and only safe till you find a bigger fool.

As for this turner he didn't seem to have any parts missing and he surely did a lot of turning to get this good using his lathe and tools, just my 2 cents :D

I see it like Cody, he is working fast and making a living.

Jim Underwood
11-28-2012, 9:35 PM
Production turners have long used the practice of never turning off the lathe to change workpieces. That's the good use of a steb center. Takes up valuable time to shut off the lathe and let it stop.

I'd say the lack fo face shield and the open belt were a couple of the largest hazards.

Not sure what I think of the drilling operation. It looked to me like a controlled cut. He seemed to be using his arms and legs to limit the movement of the workpiece into the drill. It may not have been as dangerous as it looks.

Many people have cautioned me not to make cuts with a knife toward my body, but I've used a woodcarvers type of controlled cut toward myself that is greatly limited simply because of the grip and muscles used. It may have been similar with the drilling operation. However, I'd rather make those holes with some other method, if twas me...

And yeah, quite envious of those skew skills. The man had it going on didn't he?

Curt Fuller
11-28-2012, 9:35 PM
The guy is definitely good with that skew but his long, loose shirt sleeves made me nervous and it's only a matter of time until he gets his pant leg and who knows what else wrapped up in one of those drill bits. I can't figure out what he was making, but he made a bunch of them.

Jim Underwood
11-28-2012, 9:37 PM
Geez. The video was slow to load... I finally see the long drill. Gah! That's plumb scary.:eek:

Chip Sutherland
11-28-2012, 9:54 PM
I was impressed and dumbfounded all in one. I'm pretty spoiled in my setup and how much I have invested compared to his. Skew usage was total confidence. That drill bit action was scary. Vasectomies from this technique are not reversible.

John Coloccia
11-28-2012, 9:58 PM
I wonder what he does with the bandsaw in the background. :eek:

That long drill looked a little scary. Impressive skills. Glen Lucas is very fast too.

Clarence Martin
11-29-2012, 6:08 PM
Kind of how my old lathe is set up. It's an old Chicago Tool wood lathe , and I have to leave the motor door open or else the motor will overheat. I got a Ridgid tools portable air filter that I have hanging between the beams above the workbench where the lathe sits. Have to reach over the Lathe to turn the air filter on and off.

Jon Lanier
11-29-2012, 11:31 PM
As to what he is making is a Ghelyoon: another name for hookah, waone-ter pipe. Something you use to smoke stuff with.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
His skew work was great but the drill bit part kind of took me aback.

Jim Underwood
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I wonder what he does with the bandsaw in the background. :eek:

Sam Maloof might have scared us with his technique on the bandsaw too...

Jason Roehl
11-30-2012, 5:58 PM
Any "violations" would be pure speculation--we don't know the laws of his particular locale.

How many of you think you could safely drive an Indy Car near its top speed? (I can assure you that it's not easy, yet too slow can actually be MORE dangerous due to less down force and tires that are too cool to provide the needed grip.) Does that mean it's not safe for the pros who do it day in and day out?

I don't see unsafe work there, I see skill. Yes, if something breaks or goes wrong, he might get hurt, but that can happen even if everything is done "safely".

Jeff Fagen
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Now thats speed turning man!! He was stepping back and forth over that belt and it looked like he took something in the eye right at the end.My hats off to his skew work as well. Maybe Egypt?

John Coloccia
11-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Sam Maloof might have scared us with his technique on the bandsaw too...

I've worked much the same way with a bandsaw (though I would never show anyone or admit to it....except this one time). Have you seen the video where it just drags and old router on a leg one handed. YIKES!!! Whatever works for you, I guess :)

Rick Markham
12-01-2012, 6:40 PM
At the very end of the video it pans back a ways away from him and you can see at least 100 of those things on the floor on both sides of him. That's some pretty impressive turning with a skew, no measuring and he turned the bottom pretty much the perfect size for the mortise in the end. I would also be interested in knowing what he's making, my first thought was a body for a lamp too. The whole leaning over the giant drill bit to switch it on is pretty sketchy, there's a whole following in pipemakers to hand drilling that looks pretty similar to that operation (minus leaning over the bit to turn it on)

john davey
12-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, I am no expert and this guy clearly is. But I would be worried about his eyes. And the drilling looked scary to me. Don't know what it is he made but he surly has that process down. I would love to have his skills and a face shield :)

Olaf Vogel
12-02-2012, 8:24 AM
Do you know what he is making it sure is beyond me.

Looks like parts for a "hooka" or water pipe, but not a high quality one. Possibly for mass or tourist market.
He's definitely highly skilled and likely make hundreds, but still cares the hell out of me.

Brian Myers
12-02-2012, 4:10 PM
Just a few like the drilling, loose clothing and stepping over an exposed v belt.

Wally Dickerman
12-02-2012, 7:23 PM
My comment is that experienced turners can safely do things that less experienced shouldn't attempt.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2012, 7:53 PM
Now that I second Wally, just not always appreciated ;) :D

Jeff Nicol
12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
No worries about OSHA over there, and he works like a machine so his muscle memory has been well tuned over many hundreds of hours of turning those things. And of course if the truth be told by all, many things happen in our shops would not pass all the safety rules we should follow. None of us is perfect and like already said he is probably one of the lucky ones to have a shop and steady work in his part of the world.

We all should be thankful, because it all could tumble down around us at any minute,

Jeff

Dick Strauss
12-03-2012, 9:42 AM
The guy is quite a good turner. His skills put mine to shame to say the least! Did you notice how he covered his hand holding the SRG as he roughed out the initial cylinder...this is his version of a face mask.

I think he is turning in Natanz, Iran according to the note at the bottom of the frame. Yes, this is the same Natanz, Iran where they have located their centrifuges (used to enrich uranium) as they try to become a nuclear power! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_facilities_in_Iran#Natanz

Rick Markham
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
As to what he is making is a Ghelyoon: another name for hookah, waone-ter pipe. Something you use to smoke stuff with.

Thanks Jon!

Mike Cruz
12-04-2012, 8:29 AM
Turning skills aside (which he is obviously very capable to say the least), do you know how hard it is to drill a straight freakin' hole with a clamp and a drill press that long, let alone by hand?!?!?!

Just goes to show that it isn't the tools that make the turner...