PDA

View Full Version : Mini circular saw to cut off box lids?

William Adams
11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Has anyone ever tried this?

I'd like to try a power tool for this (don't use many, and am finding doing this by hand a bit tedious and nerve-wracking), and want to minimize the loss of height to the blade kerf.

Craftsman has begun making one which is designed to work in a track:

Craftsman Trak-Cut Mini Circular Saw

and I wonder if I could get such a track 36" long (would it be compatible w/ other track guides --- is there a standard?).

Looking a bit more I see that the Rockwell Versacut RK3440K Mini Circular Saw has an optional Rockwell RW9234 VersaCut Track Guide Kit which looks perfect.

Any other (small, affordable, portable) suggestions?

Larry Prem
12-01-2012, 7:53 PM
There are a number of small circular saws available. I like the Porter Cable model, because it puts the motor inline with the base plate for a compact body. The blade is close to the front edge of the base plate making it easier to get into corners. It appears to be the same model Norm used on his show. I always wanted one, but could not get over the price.

Here are all your choices:
Small diameter Circular saws (http://www.hingmy.com/site/machinecompare.php?Item[]=3141&Item[]=3705&Item[]=3701&Item[]=3319&Item[]=3142&Item[]=3466)

Jay Jolliffe
12-01-2012, 8:12 PM
How about a small bench top table saw.

Cary Falk
12-01-2012, 8:37 PM
Why can't you put a 6 1/2 or 7 1/4 blade on the tablesaw? That's what I do when I want a really thin kerf.

William Adams
12-01-2012, 9:34 PM
It's a 3 hour drive to my father-in-law's to use his table saw --- I don't have many power tools (electric drill, jig saw, circular saw and a compound miter saw I brought home from my dad's but have never used) and I'm not sure what shape it's in.

I don't like the noise of power tools and have limited space, hence my small / portable criteria --- if the Rockwell mounts securely to its track, I think it'll work --- if the next case I make sells, I'll look into buying one and trying it.

Keith Christopher
12-02-2012, 5:47 PM
You could always use a Japanese pull saw.clamp a couple of straight edges to guide your saw.(make sure you have rip tooth and crosscut.

Indranil Banerjie
12-02-2012, 9:38 PM
Dremel makes a small hand held circular saw which could do the job.

Bruce Page
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Have you looked at the mini table saws like the Proxxon?

William Adams
12-03-2012, 6:59 AM
Hadn't considered small table top saws --- the box is almost 3' in its longest dimension, so seems awkward to maneuver.

Using a Lee Valley dovetail saw w/ guides now --- but have problems w/ damaging an internal part.

Looked at the Dremel, but not finding a track guide attachment --- am I missing something? Also, how is the cut quality? How thin is the kerf?

Maybe a picture will help:

(that's the prototype)

I need to cut it apart w/o damaging the arrow holder --- twice now w/ a hand saw I have.

I want:

- small/ easily stowed
- good cut quality
- narrow/thin kerf

I'd also like affordable.

It's funny though --- a while back when I couldn't find my saw (long story) I used my Stanley 12-250 combination plane to rip a board --- just wish it had narrower cutters (can't afford to lose so much height).

Bill ThompsonNM
12-03-2012, 7:50 AM
1. Can you put the arrow holder in after cutting it apart? You would probably do best spending money on a good track saw (not a mini saw) so you can take advantage of attachments to give a splinter free cut.

William Adams
12-03-2012, 8:07 AM
1. Can you put the arrow holder in after cutting it apart?

I haven't been able to work out a good way to do that. It's hinged at the left on dowels so that it swings out (there're bullet catches on the right which is another long story).

I hadn't considered a full-sized track saw --- won't that have a wider kerf than the mini saw?

Dale Cruea
12-03-2012, 8:26 AM
Design the box for wider saw cut where you want it.

Rod Sheridan
12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I'll suggest the small tablesaw idea.

When I make small boxes I cut the lid free on the shaper because the boxes I make are stable on their base rather than trying to hold one on end.......Rod.