PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at spray finishing

jeffrey bailey
11-28-2012, 8:57 AM
I recently got a Tool Force A-C1 2 in 1 Spray Gun and am going to use it to spray Minwax Polycrylic on a box I built. It comes with two nozzles and needles (1.4mm and 2.0mm). Which nozzle should I use for this finish? I have seen quite a few posts on here about polycrylic (some pro, some con). I pretty much have my mind set on using it. I just need to know which nozzle to use and any pointers/advice.

Todd Burch
11-28-2012, 9:07 AM
I would start testing with your smaller needle set first.

Todd

John TenEyck
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
A have a different Tool Force gun, but also with a 1.4 mm needle/orifice. It sprays most WB finishes very well, although some I have to thin about 10% to get the viscosity in the correct range. If you don't yet have a viscosity cup you should get one. Highland Hardware has a Ford #4 knockoff for around $7, and it works fine for me. SprayGunWorld has a chart for the recommended viscosity ranges for many finishes vs. gun type and orifice size.

FWIW, the Minwax Polycrylic sprays fine for me, but I've found General Finishes Hi Perf. Poly to have superior hardness and appearance. Of course, the GF product costs more, but I still like it better. If the Polycrylic is too water white for you, you can use their sealer or Sealcoat Shellac first to make it look like a solvent based product, or you can tint the Polycrylic itself with Transtint Honey Amber.

JOhn

Howard Acheson
11-28-2012, 3:25 PM
You are going to spray some test pieces first in order to learn how to use your equipment, aren't you? Card board boxes make excellent test items. Practice until you can lay down an even film.

Never, never let a real project be your learning curve. Spraying requires developing some skills before you will get good, consistent results.