PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Router Set

Jerry Thompson
11-27-2012, 7:09 PM
I just used my new Whiteside bits to make rails and stiles. There is a great deal of slop in groove and the teneon. I see no way of adjusting this as the cutters are @ the width they are and that is that.
It seems that this was a lot of money to spent for this result unless I'm missing something.

Paul Wunder
11-27-2012, 7:17 PM
Have you called Whiteside for their advice?

Stephen Cherry
11-27-2012, 8:32 PM
the spindle (router) needs to be perfectly vertical. If it's not, the groove cutter will cut a groove wider than .250, and the tongue cutter will cut thinner than .250.

The cuts only have a chance when the spindle is vertical.

Paul Murphy
11-27-2012, 9:59 PM
Are there adjustment shims you can add between the two tongue cutters? I have a set [Amana] that is adjustable in this manner.

Bill Huber
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Go to Marc Sommerfeld's site http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/st_instructions_and_plans.asp take a look at the Catalog page 27.

Jerry Thompson
11-28-2012, 8:28 AM
No shims came with thw bits. I will hsve to look around town and see what I can find.

scott darr
11-28-2012, 8:40 AM
I just used my new Whiteside bits to make rails and stiles. There is a great deal of slop in groove and the teneon. I see no way of adjusting this as the cutters are @ the width they are and that is that.
It seems that this was a lot of money to spent for this result unless I'm missing something.

Hi Jerry, just bought the same set from woodcraft, same slop you are describing. no way to adjust anything.
guys at woodcraft said you dont want a joint too tight because it will squeeze out the glue.
i am contacting Whiteside today.

Phil Thien
11-28-2012, 8:49 AM
Have you taken the bits apart and checked to see if there are any shims already in place?

When I purchased my Freud set, the fit was sloppy. When I removed the nut and the first cutter, I found small shims already in place between the cutters and the bearings. By adjusting the shims, I was able to get a perfect fit.

Ken Krawford
11-28-2012, 9:02 AM
A couple of thoughts:
- Are you making the cuts all in 1 pass or multiple passes? I find that when I make multiple passes, the joint tends to be a bit sloppy compared to doing it all in 1 pass.
- Are you using a feather board or some other kind of hold down when making the cuts? This can affect the fit of the joints.
I'll be curious to hear what Whiteside says.

Paul Murphy
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Jerry, the shim set you are looking for will be fairly specialized and possibly unique to router bit applications. My first call would be to Whiteside seeking the shims, my second call would be to the point of sale seeking either shims or to return the entire set. I've gone through a similar situation, and did get the shim set that should have been included. In my case the point of sale offered either the shims or a new set, my choice, and the shims arrived 3 days later correcting the situation.

Amana and Freud also sell adjustable sets, so you can always go to the vendor you are most comfortable with. Amana has worked well for me in adjustable bit sets.

Jeff Duncan
11-28-2012, 2:08 PM
I think the first question should be how much "slop" have you got? The joints should not be too tight as the Woodcraft guys eluded to, you don't want to have to force them together. Instead they should just go together barely snug....kinda hard to explain fully that kind of fit without seeing it in person though.

good luck,
JeffD

Jerry Thompson
11-28-2012, 3:35 PM
Whiteside has the shims listed in their catalog. I purchased the set from Wood Craft and I have them on it now. The slop is about, eyeballing, a 1/16th". I am not going to try and fill that gap with glue. This is all on pine test pieces. I will use cherry for the real deal.
Thanks to everyone for the help. I will post the happenings as they occur.

Jerry Thompson
11-28-2012, 8:27 PM
I have Whiteside shims coming next week. So we can all sit on pins and needles until then.:D