PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw extension

Jim Riseborough
11-27-2012, 6:36 PM
I built a extension table for my table saw, so I can cut longer pieces, and use a sled i am building. One issue, is the tracks and how to cut the extensions in the plywood. Do you guys just get a good straight edge and line everything up for a router?

I thought about going bigger and epoxing in some tracks, but thoght why bother once the sled is onto the table, the cut is already done.

Any suggestions?

glenn bradley
11-27-2012, 6:40 PM
Yes, I used a router. Clamped a straight board down as a guide and made the slots about 1" wide.

Bill Huber
11-27-2012, 8:58 PM
Glenn nailed it, that is what I would do now.
With my old saw I made a little extension and did not have a router at that time so I unbolted it and just use a dado blade in the saw. It worked fine, the only problem was I had to use a wall for a fence, the saw was not wide enough for the extension.

Jim Riseborough
11-28-2012, 8:51 AM
Well, heres what I did. I jointed down some wood so it would fit in the track of the tablesaw, and jammed it in there tight. Then, I ripped a piece that was the width of my offset for my router, i.e. from the edge to the cutter. This was my spacer that I put next to the piece in the track, and then clamped my straight edge to it. With a 3/4" router bit, I made my passes, then jointed the offset piece a bit, reclamped everything, and routerd again. It produced a nice grove, the only thing was my router I used must have a slight wobble, since looking down the line its a bit wavy. Time to shop for new router! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/happyanim.gif

A bit of clean up where the extension meets the saw, and it works good! A bit of varnish and some trim, and done!

Ole Anderson
11-28-2012, 9:50 AM
No need for a real accurate groove, oversize it a bit, as your TS grooves will hold your miter bars until you clear the blade.

Jim Riseborough
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks. I am happy with the way it came out. a bit oversized.