PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic TS 120 shaper

David Scheckman
11-27-2012, 5:55 PM
Hi, I'm looking for info on a Powermatic TS 120 shaper. 4 speeds, 1" Spindle. Probably made in Italy. I can't find anything about them on the web. In a previous thread I was convinced its worth it to augment or replace my Delta hd shaper with something with more capability. I'm interested in anything anyone knows about this machine. The only thing I know about its vintage is that its the Powermatic gold color. The top is 27 1/2 x 43 and the motor draws 16.6 amps @ 230 volts. I have not been able to see it or get a picture yet. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
David

J.R. Rutter
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
From what I remember about that shaper, it is very similar to the SCMI T120. I used to have one of those, and aside from a temperamental brake on the motor, it was a very nice machine. Smooth running and adjusting with a nice fence.

Jeff Duncan
11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I believe, (though not positive), they were made by SAC, (Italian), and as JR mentioned similar in quality to the SCM's at the time. It's most likely 3 phase and should be a heck of a lot more machine than the little Delta HD's.

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
11-28-2012, 1:56 PM
I use one at work, and a T80 too that's just a bit smaller. They are made by SAC, they are also labeled 'Huilledalle' on the name plate. It's a very stout machine similar to an SCMI. Basic but workable adjustable fence, marginal dust collection, big powerful motor, nice solid table. The one I use has interchangeable spindles, not sure how many different configurations were available. I believe we have recently still been able to get parts from WMH too.

David Scheckman
11-28-2012, 6:04 PM
Thanks, The parts issue is one I'm concerned with. Also dealing with 3 phase conversion. Of course I don't have room for it either, but still the price and condition may make it worth it, we'll see.
David

Peter Quinn
11-28-2012, 6:21 PM
You will want to contact WMH directly or try the we site for conformation on parts availability. You may have to search under "tank parts" because they are built similarly!

David Scheckman
11-28-2012, 7:16 PM
Well, I missed this one, sold before I could decide if I wanted to go look at it. Could be a while before one shows up in my neighborhood again. Oh well.