PDA

View Full Version : Crosshatch/Checking?

Bob Rath
11-27-2012, 5:30 PM
When I bought my laser a few years ago, one of the first things I wanted to try was checking(?) or checkering (or whatever the correct term is) like on a gunstock. Well, since then, a lot of other projects interrupted this original mission, but would now, I'd like to try doing a project with this. Does anyone have either a file or a tutorial on how to create a checkering file in Corel and then how to laser it into hardwood on a 30 watt Trotec? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with creating patterns and using grayscale , but I don' t really remember. When I searched SMC, I noticed that Dan Hintz or someone mentioned wanting to create a tutorial, but I couldn't find it. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanx

David Fairfield
11-27-2012, 5:35 PM
Check the Epilog website, they had a demonstration and tutorial of exactly this. I think in the "sample club" section. Turned out nicely, too!

Dave

David Fairfield
11-27-2012, 6:51 PM
Hi Bob, not sure why you posted the inquiry a second time. Anyway here is a link, with photos. You can follow the links on the page to video and tutorial should be helpful.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/gun_stock_engraving.htm

Not real sure if links are allowed on the forum these days. If its removed by the mods, just Google Epilog Gunstock or go to the Epilog website and type gunstock into their search box.
HTH
Dave

Scott Challoner
11-27-2012, 7:09 PM
Here's the file I used for my son's pellet gun and a photo of how it turned out. I used the Corel Basketweave pattern.

Bob Rath
11-28-2012, 2:52 PM
David and Scott...Thanks for the help. I looked at the epilog site but since I have a Trotec and not an Epilog, they wanted me to register in order to get to the page David referenced, so I passed. I did find the basket weave pattern in Corel and have tried it, but now wonder where to go for a broader selection of pattern fills. Does anyone use a particular website which has multiple blanck and white fill patterns available for download?

David Fairfield
11-28-2012, 7:09 PM
You don't need to have an Epilog or register! Just go here http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_gunstock.htm and click on the .cdr file.

Mike Null
11-29-2012, 6:25 AM
Bob

Under fills look for the post script fill tool. There are many options and you can vary each one. By saving the file as a pdf you can open it again in Corel and modify colors and individual lines.

Jeff Belany
11-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I looked at the file on Epilog's site and it is a 3D image. They mentioned that they ran it 3 times to get the depth they needed. I'm going to try it on a piece of scrap just to see how it comes out. Interesting.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin