PDA

View Full Version : Forces of Nature

John Beaver
11-27-2012, 4:40 PM
Last December 1, a freak wind storm ripped through the foothills of Los Angeles and Pasadena. The Los Angeles Arboretum lost 225 trees. This weekend they are having a special show with invited artists making pieces from those fallen trees. These are my entries for the "Forces of Nature" exhibit.

The first two are based on what I would imagine if the wind were to affect my signature "wave" bowls.

The third piece with it's fragile, jagged ribs projecting through the walls is meant to be a reminder of the destructive "forces of nature" and how fragile our relationship is with the world we inhabit.

All pieces are Spalted Sugar Maple and approx. 8-9 inch diameter.

C&C's welcome

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2012, 5:16 PM
I sure hope they are giving out some big prize money as these are all winners! Nice variation to your wave series!

Scott Hackler
11-27-2012, 5:34 PM
Boy that first one is awesome (not that the others aren't). :)

David DeCristoforo
11-27-2012, 6:12 PM
You are probably going to get a thousand different opinions here but that's the chance you take when you post multiple pieces in the same post. For me, piece with the three waves is very sweet. The one with the vertical ribs I'm not to hot on. But the middle one!?! Now that is an awesome piece. Probably my favorite of all the pieces of yours I have seen to date.

Steve Mawson
11-27-2012, 6:32 PM
The first two are super, I think you might have posted the multiple one before. Don't know how the show works but those are tops in my book. On the stave one I would be in David's camp, not my favorite but the other two I really like. Just my thoughts.

James Combs
11-27-2012, 6:48 PM
One word. Awesome!!

Jim Burr
11-27-2012, 8:24 PM
You changed and stayed true to your passion John. I expect a call from the jury to announce that you won!!

Harry Robinette
11-27-2012, 8:47 PM
John
I was going to say good luck but if the judges have ANY sense at all you won. Don't get allot from the last one but the middle one is flat out awesome.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2012, 9:45 PM
Beautiful John.

Doug W Swanson
11-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Wow! I can't pick a winner. They are all beautiful!

Baxter Smith
11-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Great work John. All are exceptional!

Kathy Marshall
11-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Very nice John! I'd have to pick the middle one as my favorite.

Steve Busey
11-28-2012, 6:46 AM
Amazing work John - your pieces are a Force of Nature all their own!

Peter Blair
11-28-2012, 9:18 AM
These are all just fabulous, I especially like the middle one.

John Beaver
11-28-2012, 8:28 PM
You are probably going to get a thousand different opinions here but that's the chance you take when you post multiple pieces in the same post. For me, piece with the three waves is very sweet. The one with the vertical ribs I'm not to hot on. But the middle one!?! Now that is an awesome piece. Probably my favorite of all the pieces of yours I have seen to date.

David, I appreciate your honesty. I think we need more constructive criticism sometimes and fewer accolades.

Funny, my wife agrees with you on the one with the vertical ribs (and she's always right you know). I never really got the sketch right, but I wanted to pursue the concept so I kind of winged it. Hopefully someone will like it. I've hit about 50 percent success on the "flying rib" pieces, but there are some elements I really like so I will keep refining it.

Chip Sutherland
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
The third picture caught my eye. I drew up something like that in a sketch pad a couple of years ago but never executed on it. Ripped the page out and tossed it....your's is better. I hope you explore some more form variations and wood combinations. Nice perspective. Needless to say the other two bowls are absolutely wonderful and I am sure the judges will show their appreciation, too.