PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollow Form

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-27-2012, 4:24 PM
Last week offered time to do a bit of finishing. I had this little cherry hollow form begging for it's turn in the spray booth. It's 5" in diameter and the hole is 5/8". It is perfectly smooth inside :). That's probably not true but with a 5/8" hole no one will ever be the wiser. The wood is plain but cherry is beautiful even when it is boring. There is no flat on the bottom so it rocks on the shelf. It is sanded to 2000 grit, lacquered then rubbed to 4k and polished. I always think of this shape as lacking in real design but no one walks past it without picking it up and fondling it. It's a shape that just feels good to hold. The finish is quite glossy. I feel like I am developing a decent method of photographing these pieces. Let me know what you think.

francesco dibari
11-27-2012, 4:46 PM
beautiful and elegant piece .. many compliments Faust :)

paul vechart
11-27-2012, 8:35 PM
Very nice HF Faust...the cherry grain direction looks perfect on this piece.

Rich Aldrich
11-27-2012, 9:45 PM
Nice work. I always like cherry and agree with the grain direction. It looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2012, 9:46 PM
That is a beauty. Love the form.

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Faust - pretty wood and you did a great job on the finish!

On the photo: eliminating or minimizing hot spots on glossy turnings is a challenge. Only thing I can suggest if to keep moving the source of light around until you find something that works for you. Also might want to try using two lights... one above and off to the front side a bit and another located lower and on the opposite side for fill. You want some shadows so that the piece has 3D qualities but you don't want super hard edges on those shadows... unless it is being used to dramatize the work. Have fun with it!

Norris Randall
11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
"cherry is beautiful" You got that right and this is a beautiful creation.
Yep, I'd like to hold it also.
I'll be looking for more of your creations.

Baxter Smith
11-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Great curve and finish Faust. That is a little hole too!

Kathy Marshall
11-28-2012, 12:00 AM
That's a beauty Faust! Very clean looking, great finish and I really like how the grain is oriented.

Bill Hensley
11-28-2012, 8:08 AM
Well done, very well done! Everything about it is appealing. I especially like how the hole is in a depression instead of flush with the surface.