PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Need to cut exhaust hole in garage door - tool to use/not to use?

Mike vonBuelow
11-27-2012, 3:08 PM
Hi metal heads...

Due to my laser engraving 'office' being in the garage, I'm needing an 3.25" exhaust vent hole in my garage door for a vent.

Needing advice on how to...

Should I call someone? In the OKC area if it matters.

George Carlson
11-27-2012, 3:46 PM
Just go to one of the big-box stores and get a hole saw. They will cut though almost anything. I cut a 6" hole through the wall of my steel building for my exhaust, no problem.

Mike vonBuelow
11-27-2012, 4:46 PM
I got one of them

Keith Outten
11-28-2012, 6:35 AM
Mike,

I would purchase a dryer vent and install it in the door so the hole has a finished look and you will have the necessary connection for the hose on the inside that you can connect and remove the hose as required. Most metal doors are pretty thin so you should be able to cut the hole with just about any tool you prefer but be careful using a hole saw as they can be pretty aggressive in thin sheet.

Mike vonBuelow
11-28-2012, 3:48 PM
Right Keith, I did purchase a metal 'port' to fit around the hole.

I may live in Oklahoma, but I'm not hick

Gerald Wubs
06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Do you burn your draft cards down on main street?

Keith Outten
06-21-2013, 7:10 AM
Gerald,

According to the song they don't burn their draft cards in Oklahoma.
I still have mine as well, it proved in my case to be a ticket to a job working for my Uncle Sam. My one and only job working for the Federal Government.

David G Baker
06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't have any idea where my draft card went but I still have my DD form 214 showing that I served and was honerably discharged. I have used hole saws for cutting thin sheetmetal, it can create a mess and could be dangerous but they do work great for larger holes. If possible try to find a way to put something wooden clamped (1/2 inch plywood worked for me) in front of the hole you plan to cut and that there is some solid wood on the other side of the metal.

Dave Verstraete
06-21-2013, 5:38 PM
Draft card says 2-A deferred for wartime production (Tool & die Maker) later did a stint in Peace Corps, Sierra Leone, West Africa 74-76.