PDA

View Full Version : Can the Delta 23-710 B fixed?

Charlie Ross
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Several years back I wasted my money and purchased a Delta 23-710 sharpening center. I’ve tried several times to sharpen tools with this thing, but the blades usually ended up worse or no better than when is started, and worse than I could do by hand. About once a year I’ll look at it and think maybe I could modify it and make it work. I keep thinking its slow turning speed and wet stone setup has potential. For me to spend the price wanted to buy one of the high end sharpeners, would be a waste of money for my hobby woodworking shop. I was wondering, does anyone have ideas on what could be done to make thing usable; like installing new stones and/or redesigned the tool rests? Thanks!

Steven Satur
11-27-2012, 1:05 PM
Sell it on craigslist. I bought one when they first came out, and had the same problems as you. I called Delta, and they sent me another one. Same problem.
I never figured out of it was the water stone was out of round or the shaft or gears were not machined right.
That was the last Delta item I ever bought.

Steve

Myk Rian
11-27-2012, 1:59 PM
If you aren't doing wide blades, get a WorkSharp 3000. I like mine.

John McClanahan
11-27-2012, 6:24 PM
I have one of those Delta sharpeners, too. Looks like a well built tool. Too bad it doesn't perform like one. I wish I could find a good use for it.

John