PDA

View Full Version : Otter box for iPhone

Terri Heskett
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Has anyone tried to engrave the back of an Otter box case for iPhone? Is it possible, what settings and how does it come out? I have an Epilog 45 watt.

Mike Null
11-27-2012, 2:44 PM
Here is one I did using plastic settings. It's for a Blackberry.

You can engrave deeper but I was just interested in seeing what result I could get.

Jason Roehl
11-27-2012, 6:54 PM
I don't have any skin in this game, but there should probably be some clarification here. Which OtterBox? I have an iPhone 4, and the OtterBox Defender Series for it has a silicon-rubber-like sleeve surrounding a hard plastic case. My wife has an iPhone 5, and the OtterBox she got originally (Commuter Series, I think) had the rubber between the phone and the hard case.

Scott Challoner
11-27-2012, 7:19 PM
I didn't know they made them with the silicone over the hard plastic. Seems like putting your socks over your shoes doesn't it? :rolleyes:
Since people engrave the silicone spirit bands, I would assume either way would work. Different settings of course, but I think it would work.

Jason Roehl
11-27-2012, 8:00 PM
I'm a painting contractor, and I've had my iPhone 4 since right after they came out (July, 2010). I've had it in an Otterbox almost the whole time. I broke the belt clip a few months ago, so I replaced that with my wife's (she didn't use hers), but the case is still the original one I bought. It's starting to show its age, but I can't imagine in all the abuse it's received that the hard plastic case would survive if it were on the outside, and even one of the areas where it's slightly exposed is slightly mangled.

William Noyer
11-28-2012, 1:21 PM
I have an Otterbox defender series for my iPhone 4S with the silicone external case and engraved mine with the San Francisco 49er's logo and it came out great. A few months later it started getting tears in the case around the corners and a few of the flaps. Nothing to do with the engraving and I couldn't find just the silicone shell, so I called Otterbox direct and told the, what was going on and they sent me a whole new case. So, in answer to your question, yes it can be done and I have done it for a few customers as well.

Jeff Greer
11-28-2012, 5:49 PM
I don't have a Otterbox but I worked on the molds for them...:)

Terri Heskett
12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I have an Otterbox defender series for my iPhone 4S with the silicone external case and engraved mine with the San Francisco 49er's logo and it came out great. A few months later it started getting tears in the case around the corners and a few of the flaps. Nothing to do with the engraving and I couldn't find just the silicone shell, so I called Otterbox direct and told the, what was going on and they sent me a whole new case. So, in answer to your question, yes it can be done and I have done it for a few customers as well.

What settings did you use?

Paul D Harrison
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi
Looks great ,
When you say plastic settings what were they .
I run a trotec 30 watt .
Paul H
How much do you think I could charge for personaliseing a mobile phone.
Its an idea I am working on. ???
Thanks

Phil Thien
12-07-2012, 5:38 PM
I don't have a Otterbox but I worked on the molds for them...:)

Which ones, the molds for the cases made in the U.S., Mexico, or China?

William Noyer
12-08-2012, 11:33 AM
What settings did you use?

I used the recommended settings from Epilog for my 50W machine, which were S: 30%, P: 100%.

William Noyer
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I normally charge about $5 a pop for just putting text or simple graphic on a phone case.