PDA

View Full Version : 4 post 15" planer - gearbox removal

Matt Day
11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm cleaning up my new-to-me 15" Jet planer (the generic 4 poster) and removing rust, replacing gearbox oil, and while I'm at it replacing the cutterhead bearings. I've gotten everything apart aside from getting the gearbox apart. I have it about 1/2" open, but it just seems as though the gear overlap inside (or something else?) are not allowing it to come apart. For those of you that have done this and/or changed to a spiral head, do you have any tips for me?

Thanks

ed vitanovec
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
The Byrd tool web site has instructions on changing out the head, this should help you. I once considered doing this and I think some of the parts are pressed in and would require a puller. Let us know who it works out.

Matt Day
11-27-2012, 1:25 PM
Ed, I should have mentioned that I've got that set of instructions, as well as the exploded views of the parts, and have watched a few videos on it. They all make it look like it just falls out! I've read a few posts from others that have said it's much more difficult than any of the videos/instructions show, but I haven't read any recommendations on how to do it if it hangs up like mine is.

Robert Maloney
11-27-2012, 6:56 PM
I did the same thing when I had the Delta version. I don't recall it being that difficult. Some of the bearings are pressed on. Could you post a picture of where you are stuck and maybe we could help better.

Matt Day
11-27-2012, 7:34 PM
After about a half hour of struggling and worrying I was going to break something, I finally got it off. I basically ended up hitting the top of it with a mallet a bunch, and it turned out fine.

Just something to note - I went through three M6 bolts knocking the cutterhead free from the bearing.

Now to order some parts and finish cleaning!

Thanks for the help