PDA

View Full Version : Sooo… What is it??? Gloat???

Ken Kimbrell
04-23-2005, 5:52 PM
Went into town this morning to get a haircut and check out a few yard sales, hoping to find an old woodworking tool or two, like a nice hand plane maybe!
Well, the haircut worked out just fine, but no old tools, except for a couple of good wheels/casters rated at about 600-800# each (guessing)… and the tool you see in the pix below.

I bought it because it was cheap @ $3.00, but mostly I bought it because the neither me nor the fellow selling it could figure out what it is.
He picked it up in a box of odds and ends from an estate sale, but didn’t have a clue… me, well if you don’t know what the heck it is you must need it, so over goes the 3 bucks to him and now I need someone to help me ID this YardSale Wonder!:D

Dick Parr
04-23-2005, 6:09 PM
It looks like an old stamp impression set up to me. Like a notory would use.

Mike Tempel
04-23-2005, 6:10 PM
I'll take a stab at it but I am probably wrong. Is it some type of leather punch???????:confused: :confused:

Christopher Pine
04-23-2005, 6:20 PM
Looks like a press you would use to put gromets on perhaps leather shoes or boots???
Maybe on tartps etc

Harry Goodwin
04-23-2005, 6:23 PM
Ken: As an old leatherworker there are punches similar but I agree this one probably used to seal documents. the flat round (large) disk indicates that. It can be made into a punch like you suggested with a little work. Harry

Doug Shepard
04-23-2005, 6:26 PM
Looks like a press you would use to put gromets on perhaps leather shoes or boots???
Maybe on tartps etc

That's what I'm thinking too. It's been 35+ years, but there was an old guy in our neighborhood that used to repair shoes when I was a kid. Can't be certain, but I think I remember him having something that looked like that. I still can't tell you what it does though.

Jim Becker
04-23-2005, 7:14 PM
Document seal...likely for a corporate seal, although it could have been for a notary, too.

Ken Kimbrell
04-23-2005, 7:20 PM
Great guesses so far! Thanks for taking the time.:)

It’s not a notary type of tool; the punch pin passes all the way through, the opening seems too small to do a tarp grommet and the same for leather... the opening is really tight.

The details in my photos leave a little to be desired, so here are some details that may help.
The punch pin is about 3/8" round, but is cut to a ‘half’ round shape just above the cutting surface... The remaining half is in the back and extends below the cutting surface. Directly in front of the hole in the c/s is a ‘V’ groove about ¼” x ¼”, it’s rounded in the bottom of the groove. The sheet metal bracket surrounding the punch hole has a round slot about ½” wide is attached by two screws, as is the plate that the punch pin passes through to make the cut.
There are no names, numbers or any other marks that I can see.
Thanks... Ken

Ken Kimbrell
04-23-2005, 7:53 PM
Took it apart to see if any names or marks could be found, the only thing on any of the parts is the number 2977 on the round punch plate. Thats likely just a part number for that on peice.

Jerry Clark
04-23-2005, 8:09 PM
I have one like it and it has a seal for documents from an old company. I would imagine that with a little modification it could be used for many thing!:rolleyes:

Harry Goodwin
04-23-2005, 8:10 PM
not for seal. Harry

John Miliunas
04-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Can't help you with what it IS but, it looks to weigh a bit, so you can "make" it into a door stop!:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Possibly used for rivets in leather?

Ken Kimbrell
04-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Can't help you with what it IS but, it looks to weigh a bit, so you can "make" it into a door stop!:D :cool:

Thats what will most likely happen to it, or maybe hold down my stack of sandpaper. ;)

Mark Singer
04-24-2005, 12:13 AM
I think it is a seal to emboss paper.....put your stamp on...like an engineer or architect...I have a fancy self inking one....I broke my old ones from overstamping....now I am trying to under stamp;)

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fjhtVJcbUZ4J:www.bizsiteusa.com/seals/emboss/embosser/seal.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bizsiteusa.com/seals/emboss/embosser/seal.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.bizsiteusa.com/seals.html&h=155&w=85&sz=6&tbnid=fjhtVJcbUZ4J:&tbnh=89&tbnw=49&start=12&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprofessional%2Bseal%2Bstamp%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

Tony Falotico
04-24-2005, 8:23 PM
I think it is a seal to emboss paper.....put your stamp on...like an engineer or architect...I have a fancy self inking one....I broke my old ones from overstamping....now I am trying to under stamp;)

Hey Mark, for years in Florida we were 'Registered Engineers' , and that's what our seal said. Three years or so ago, the Board decided we were 'Certified Engineers', so we all had to buy new seals. :( NOW, DA BOARD, in their infinite wisdom (?) decides we are 'Licensed Engineers' So guess what !!!! We have to buy new seals AGAIN !! :mad: Just ordered a new one on Friday.

I'm figuring the embossing seal maker's lobby is pretty strong in Florida.... Or the Board's lawyers have a lot of spare time or something..... Does it REALLY make a difference?? Just pick one and let's go with it. So you want a Registered Engineer? How about a Certified Engineer? Or is your preference a soon to be Licensed Engineer ?? :D Got ya' covered whatever you need!!

Sorry Ken, didn't mean to hijack your thread!! BTW, with the pin coming through the center, I doubt it's an embossing seal. I've seen what you have before, but can't remember when or where. I'll go with some sort of grommet setting tool.