PDA

View Full Version : a part time job...

Russell Eaton
11-27-2012, 9:14 AM
I just thought that I would show the result of about 2 week into the pecan season. This is the discarded hull pile from the pecan processing equipment at my shop. I built my shop in 2 sections, one is 20'x30' for the pecan processing equipment, the other 30'x40' is for the turning "studio". I have enjoyed the turning side a lot, but the money sure is nice from the pecan side, it helps finance the turning as well as a decent amount of spending money. This pile has grown a lot bigger and I give it away to people to use as mulch for gardens. After 3-4 months of cracking I will have a small mountain. All total I will crack around 40K pounds this year, that is a conservative estimate. Saturday one customer will bring 1,000 #s and that will just take the morning. By March I will be tired of them but by November I will miss the extra income.

;)

Bruce Volden
11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Russell,

We all gotta do something for fun on occasion. I remember cracking them the hard way when I was a kid in OK-mom made all us kids help out. The pies were worth it 'tho. I also think the shell can be used for sandblasting, maybe there is a market for that locally??

Bruce

David G Baker
11-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Ever try cracking black walnuts? I never learned the secret. I love pecans and when I visit relatives in Georgia I always bring home a bag or two. Wish I had a side line to bring in a little change.

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Looks like quite the little business! When I lived down South, used to stop and pick up bags of pecans for Christmas pies and cookies! Good memories!!

rogers kevin
12-13-2012, 7:54 AM
Russell Eaton I like your idea.