PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust speed of SCMI Shaper T100

Michael Flax
11-27-2012, 6:53 AM
Hello woodworking cyber community, and thanks to anyone who has any info on this that they are willing to share with me. The machine has a single phase 220 V motor that I can't see a hp rating for, but it's large and appears to be at least a 5 hp. There doesn't appear to be any way possible of adjusting the belt to a different bearing or anything like that as it has a single belt that's about 1.5" wide that goes directly from motor shaft to spindle. Are there speed controls one can get for these type of motors, and if so, where do I get one? Also, is there a place one can find the instruction manual for this machine? I didn't have any luck searching online for this. Thanks.

Jeff Duncan
11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I'd check the SCM website for the manual, they used to have a lot of them listed there. Unless your machine is as old as my planer in which case like me you may be SOL:>(

Not sure about the setup on your machine but usually for multiple speeds they have step pulleys. I know they did make these machines in several versions some having multiple speeds. Doesn't sound like that's what you have though. I'm not familiar with that particular model but I wonder if someone replaced the original pulleys for whatever reason?

You may want to look into a VFD. These allow speed control on 3 phase equipment. I don't know much about them so not sure if they can be wired up to single phase machines, but worth looking into anyway.

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
I think they came single speed-7500 rpm. No easy way to change unless you can fit step pulleys on the shaft. SCMI also made that machine for Rockwell so check there. Sometimes you can view literature on exfactory.com. Can't download but partspronto.com has scmi manuals for downloading. Dave

Rod Sheridan
11-27-2012, 11:02 AM
A VFD requires a 3 phase motor...................Regards, Rod.

david brum
11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
This (https://www.partspronto.com/MachineDocs/T100.pdf) might help some. I've never even seen one of these, so my observation is based on a few minutes on web searching, but it appears that your machine originally came with a two speed, 3 phase motor. Maybe the single phase motor was a later add-on?

Carl Beckett
11-27-2012, 1:11 PM
A VFD requires a 3 phase motor...................Regards, Rod.

Is this true?

I have used pulse width modulated drivers on single phase motors. I think they exist.

Michael Flax
11-28-2012, 9:14 PM
Thanks a lot, yeah I looked at the SCM website but they dont have manuals for it, and that's true I'm thinking the motor may very well have been changed. Thanks again, Michael Flax

David Kumm
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Check the switch. Some came originally with a two speed motor and had a switch marked on 1 and 2. Some just had a single speed, some reversed but that is according to a faulty memory so take it for what it is worth. Dave

Rod Sheridan
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Is this true?

I have used pulse width modulated drivers on single phase motors. I think they exist.

You would require a special single phase motor for that application.

A standard single phase motor has a start winding with a centrifugal switch that opens at about 75% of rated speed, making the motor unsuitable for slower speed operation..............Rod.