PDA

View Full Version : Burl Gloat - box elder

Randy Gazda
11-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I haven't posted in forever but thought this might be of interest.

While visiting family and friends for Thanksgiving, someone mentioned a woodcutter who had a large burl that I could have. Wow, now they had my attention. It turned out to be two big burls on one recently cut stump. The burl doesn't go all the way through but looks promising and unfortunately not much red streaking in the wood. The second piece/photo is some additional burl that the first cut missed. The nice gentlemen who cut it from the stump for me also had some large rounds of mountain mahogany (I owe him a bowl or cutting board, he wouldn't take cash). The mahogany is pretty checked but I will still saw it open and see how it looks. Unfortunately, we had the car and had to leave the second burl for next time...

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Great gloat. Those should yield some fine turnings.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Randy - good to see you posting again! Congrats on the wood! You just never know how beautiful that stuff can be until you turn it! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you create out of it!

Baxter Smith
11-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Congrats on getting a little extra to be thankful for!

charlie knighton
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
congratulations, thanksgiving burl, the red ususally is thiches toward the center of the tree, and less so at the bark, while burl is usually found on the bark
boxelder burl is great, enjoy