PDA

View Full Version : I hope it was just a bad day at the Grobet factory...

Maurice Metzger
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
The last two 5" double extra slim saw files I used didn't look too good out of the package, the edges were rough and one seemed to come to a raised ridge (probably not too clear with my weak photography):

The edges seemed to "crumble" pretty quickly when I actually used one of the files to sharpen a backsaw, again it might not be too clear:

Grobet files were my plan B after Nicholson files went downhill, and I don't have a plan C. So I'm really hoping it's a one-time glitch.

John Coloccia
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Say it ain't so.....:(

Ryan Baker
11-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Yikes! That looks very bad indeed. Let's hope it was just a bad batch.

Chris Griggs
11-27-2012, 5:59 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-27-2012, 9:02 AM
Hrm - I just sharpened a couple of saws with Grobet files from Lee Valley - the biggest problem I had was the files gumming up because I didn't clean the saw teeth very well before I started, and the marker I was using to mark the teeth left some cruft behind; but I didn't do an inspection of the file afterwards, either. I'll have to take a closer look. Not trying to disagree with what happened to you, just thinking another data point might be helpful in guessing whether you had bad luck or this is a trend. I'll have to take a better look.

Chris Griggs
11-27-2012, 9:06 AM
We should definitely get some other data points to determine if your file was just made on a Friday afternoon after a martini lunch or everyone is drunk at the Grobet factory these days. I'll have a look at my unused roll of files from LV later on tonight and report back. It would be great if others did the same.

george wilson
11-27-2012, 9:25 AM
The HF files I looked at were cut better than that!!!! I think this was an abberation at Grobet,not their usual product as I've used them for many years. Grobet needle files are about the only decent ones commonly available right now,though there are other good European makers,too.

Chris Griggs
11-27-2012, 9:28 AM
Yeah my bet is those couple just got past the goalie. Hopefully all is well at the Grobet factory. The few Grobets I've used have been excellent. Still I'm going to take a look at mine.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Just a quick aside; and I'm not casting aspersions at you, Maurice, but the file itself is stamped Grobet, correct? I only ask because in the past I have bought things from larger supply companies that were listed as being one brand or another, or whatever, and then been disappointed with the tool, and not realized until well later that the vendor changed suppliers and didn't update their descriptions. Had I actually payed attention when I received the item in question, I would have noticed.

I assume since you've taken to time to examine the file closely, you've confirmed this, but I know I've had some brain slip moments like this in the past, and I want to tell myself I can't be the only not-bright one . . .

Mike Allen1010
11-27-2012, 2:31 PM
I have been using Grobet files extensively for a number of years, both the Swiss made files and those they list as "imported", which are less expensive than the Swiss made files (I'm not sure where they're made -- I think Portugal?).

Grobet's have always been my go to file among those currently being manufactured based on their combination of price/performance. In my experience, they have always been much, much better than the current Mexican made Nicholson files, but not as good as a vintage US-made Simonds, Nicholson or Heller.

Maurice, your post is very timely as in the last box of "imported" Grobet's I got I also had a couple files that were significantly softer than typical-- really almost unusable on a Disston D8, which in my past experience they've cut beautifully. I was wondering if I was just losing my mind -- it's interesting (disappointing) that you've had a similar experience. I really hope this is an anomaly!

FYI, over the past 6-8 months I've had difficulty finding the Grobet's in stock which prompted me to try a couple boxes of Pferd files made in Germany. I was really hoping for good things (I even spoke with their factory rep before I bought them), but I found the Pferd's didn't cut as fast or last as long as the Grobet's, even though I seem to recall the Pferd's were more expensive.

SMC'er Mark Wyatt kindly sent me a couple Bahco files to try (thanks Mark!), and these performed quite well, my impression was at least as good as the Grobet's, however that was just based on using only a couple files.

I would like to get a couple boxes of the Bahco's to give them a better evaluation, but I haven't been able to find a source to buy them. All I seem to be able to find on the web (with my admittedly horrible search engine skills!), are their tapered saw files with a permanently attached handle and the price was prohibitive.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could buy some Bahco files?

FWIW, the best saw files I've ever used bar none were some vintage Simonds made in the USA. They cut like a knife through butter and lasted a long, long time. I have had mixed results buying vintage USA made files on the mega-auction site, sometimes they been used and/or have some rust or corrosion that reduces their effectiveness.

I welcome any advice or suggestions about suggestions regarding quality saw files and where to get them.

Thanks, Mike

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-27-2012, 3:19 PM
I didn't inspect all of them, but looked over a handful of the Grobet files I bought from LV and TFWW and don't notice anything that stands out to my (admittedly untrained) eye. Certainly the files from LV and TFWW I've gotten have been much better than anything I've gotten from the hardware store (FWIW, the made in India files I've gotten from Sears have been much better than Mexican Nicholsons - some of the Mexican Nicholsons I used up all three sides on a 26" 7 pt rip saw.)

Here's a few photos of the the two Grobet's I used on a couple of rip saws the other day - they got a decent workout, I ended up making three passes, removing a fair amount on the first two passes, on each of the two saws as the teeth needed dramatic reshaping. My saw vise didn't fit the handles of this panel saw very well (I should have used my other one) so it was pretty screechy back by the teeth under/towards the handle. I only used one side of each file. Maybe these are worse than I'm seeing - there's definitely some wear, but nothing seems to have overly crumbled. Should I take another photo at a better angle? I may have used one of these before, I can't remember now.

I should take a better look at the 4 XX Slim I got from TFWW. This is a 7 X Slim and a 6 Slim file, I believe.

Jim Koepke
11-27-2012, 4:18 PM
I may have used one of these before, I can't remember now.

One thing done to be able to remember which edge of my files as been used is to mark it at the heel with a marker to indicate it has been used. Sometimes a hard stone is used to flatten the first few teeth.

The files in Maurice's pictures look worse than the teeth of a rusty old file from a flea market that was bought for the steel not the teeth. My old rusty was actually thrown in on a deal, so was essentially free.

jtk

Maurice Metzger
11-27-2012, 8:24 PM
Yes, they are Grobet files. Marked Grobet, with an image of a flintlock pistol.

David Posey
11-27-2012, 9:45 PM
Have you tried contacting the seller of these files? If they came from TFWW or Lee Valley, I'm sure they would want to know as both companies want to see their customers happy. If they came from Amazon or elsewhere, it might be better to contact Grobet directly. Unlike Nicholson, they still have a reputation to uphold.

Ryan Baker
11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I was just looking over the Grobet files in my LV set, none of which have been used yet. Some aren't too bad. Some (mainly the smaller ones) look a bit rough and uneven (unevenly cut teeth). Certainly not as bad as what Maurice posted (again, not yet used), but no where near looking like Joshua's pictures. The 5" double slim caught my attention. Here is a picture. (It's hard to take a halfway decent picture of a file. It's hard to see in the viewer, but is more noticeable if you blow up the image some more.)

There is a section near the tip (around the 9-1/8" mark in the photo) where the the size squeezes down at least a good 20 thou smaller than it should be at that point. The teeth on this one look better than some of the others. Some of the tangs appear a bit crooked (warped?). One has a sharp tang of metal sticking off the tip. They don't look anywhere near as good as the soft Nicholsons. Time will tell if they hold up any better. I've got to say that I am not at all impressed with or encouraged by the way these files look out of the box.

I have some larger Grobet mill files that do look much better.

Maurice Metzger
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
David, I'm traveling right now, I should have some new ones waiting for me when I get home. If those don't measure up I'll be sending them back with the reasons for the return.

Joel Moskowitz
12-01-2012, 1:40 PM
Maurice,
If you got them from us give send me an email. We did get a bad batch of Grobet 5"ers awhile back and I had thought be caught them all. The company was pretty good about replacing them and succeeding batches have been fine. If you didn't get them from us I would contact the company you did get them from. Files do wear out with use but they should not crumble.

Joel
tfww

Maurice Metzger
12-03-2012, 1:39 PM
Thanks Joel, one of the great things about this hobby is dealing with first class tool providers like yourself. I have purchased these files from your store on occasion, but in this case they came from another principled purveyor of practical paraphernalia.