PDA

View Full Version : What type of buffing wheel to use on Renwax?

Jack Gaskins
11-26-2012, 6:25 PM
I bought a beall buffing system and the wax wheel does nothing but shed. When I went to buff up my wood pens that I had applied Renwax on it left little strands of cotton in the groves and hard to pick them out. I have tried to deshed the wheel several times but it just continues to let loose very fine strands of fuzzy white stuff. Is there a better wheel I can use to buff my renwax?

Thanks,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2012, 7:34 PM
Jack I use the wax wheel that came with my beall system It took a while but it did quit shedding. I only use Ren Wax with that wheel.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2012, 7:35 PM
Same experience as Bernie! The wheel did shed for quite a while but it has calmed down.

Jamie Donaldson
11-26-2012, 8:56 PM
You can shorten the break-in time with the shedding wheel by dressing it hard with a stiff wire brush, but be ready for a white fluff storm!

Richard Jones
11-26-2012, 9:48 PM
What Jamie said, and don't forget your dust mask...........

Ralph Lindberg
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I guess I'm the odd duck here. When I got the buffing wheel (Beal) it came with bees wax, and that is all I use on the wheel. Yes it did take some time to stop spitting threads.

I will sometimes use this, then top it with Renaissance Wax, which I hand buff with a soft cloth.

My experience is, I can but a softer wax over a harder wax.

Scott Hackler
11-27-2012, 1:14 PM
I switched over to Ren wax a few years ago from the carnuba wax on the Beal wheels and frankly it was the best thing I have done to improve my finish. Not because it adds a luster or gloss but because its completely transperant and unlike carnuba or bees wax it doesnt get fingerprinted up when its held. I still power buff with the rouge and white diamond wheels, but do not power buff Ren Wax. The surface and finish is complete after the white diamond wheel. IMO, the wax doesn't nothing but seal it all up and protects the finish left after the white diamond.

So ever since the switch I havent used the wax wheel on my Beal setup and apply Ren wax with a paper towel that stays in the container and buff it out, by hand, with another soft paper towel or an old t-shirt. Power buffing Ren wax is unnessasary in my opinion.

Marvin Hasenak
11-27-2012, 1:35 PM
I hand buff with old T shirt material.

Jamie Donaldson
11-27-2012, 5:12 PM
A good quality and clean microfiber cloth works even better than a T-shirt for final as well as occasional touch-up hand buffing. I carry one in a plastic bag when doing shows or visiting my work in a gallery.

Jack Gaskins
11-27-2012, 6:00 PM
I cant remeber where I read this but someone sells a T-Shirt buffing wheel.....I do usually buff by hand on renwax but I had a lot of pens to buff and wanted to expedite the process.