PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box

Timothy Mann
11-26-2012, 5:30 PM
I am not sure what kind of wood the box is, it was just mixed together with a lot of other wood under my work bench. The knob is African Blackwood though. C&C welcome. Should have my photo tent soon, hopefully my photos will improve somewhat then.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2012, 5:58 PM
Nicely done! Was this the natural color of the wood? The grain almost reminds me of some maple I have on hand, but the color is much darker........wondered if you put some danish oil or other type of finish with some tint in it? I like the knob a lot and the shape of the vessel.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2012, 7:31 PM
Really nice box. I do like the finial.

Timothy Mann
11-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Nicely done! Was this the natural color of the wood? The grain almost reminds me of some maple I have on hand, but the color is much darker........wondered if you put some danish oil or other type of finish with some tint in it? I like the knob a lot and the shape of the vessel.

Roger, I used some BLO then finished off by Beall buffing. Thank you for your comments.

Richard Jones
11-26-2012, 8:25 PM
Interesting shape, I like it. Is the knob in two pieces?

It does look a bit like maple..........

Jim Burr
11-26-2012, 9:11 PM
That's a nice little box Timothy!! How big/small is it?

Baxter Smith
11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice shaped box and knob Timothy. Looks a little like the staining you get with ambrosia maple on one spot near the rim.

Timothy Mann
11-27-2012, 9:21 PM
Richard, the top knob is one piece, the inner AB piece is seperate.

Jim, the box is about "4 tall, the knob is about "1 1/4

Baxter, I had wondered if this might not be a piece of ambrosia but its just a guess on my part.

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Timothy - I really like the color on this piece! Also think you did great on the heart shaped form! Nice work!