PDA

View Full Version : Dang nail!!!

Jack Mincey
11-26-2012, 1:10 PM
When cutting up the large tree I posted look what my saw found and even cut into. Had to use my husky 61 to finish up after hitting this with my 372xp. Yard trees are always a risk but worth it. The dime gives you a reference to the size of this nail. You can see at the bottom of the nail where it was cut through.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00560.jpg

Doug Herzberg
11-26-2012, 1:23 PM
I hate it when that happens.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2012, 1:39 PM
I feel your pain Jack........a couple of years ago, I was called to help cut up a large catalpa tree at a friends cabin.......cut into a barn spike :eek: we were almost finished and already had most of the tree cut up.....that event ended the day! I had to do some major sharpening to get that chain where it would cut again.....probably lost 1/2 of its life cycle on that one spike!

Joe Kieve
11-26-2012, 2:58 PM
Uggh! Around here those are called "sawmiller's delights". Hard to find a local sawmill who will even touch a tree removed from someone's yard.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2012, 7:37 PM
Had a old farmer cut down a maple tree in his yard. While cutting it up I ran into a bunch of barb wire that the tree had grown around. Not visiable from the outside. That puts a stop to things quick.

Jim Burr
11-26-2012, 7:41 PM
That dime is about the size of a dime!! Oh...look at that nail...

Baxter Smith
11-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Looks like it was almost as much fun as cutting up a rootball full of rocks.:rolleyes:

Jim Silva
11-27-2012, 8:34 AM
Better that you found it with the chainsaw than a gouge.:rolleyes: (Don't ask me how I know that lol)

ray hampton
11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
can you heat the nail quick enough to pull it out easily with out breaking the nail

Jack Mincey
11-27-2012, 9:30 PM
I plan on taken the nail out just to keep as a reminder of what yard trees have to offer. I got one a few years ago that was next to gravel road and hit many pieces of gravel that had grown into the tree over the years.
Jack

Jim Underwood
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
At least you didn't put the nail there yourself, forget about it, and then years later, cut into it, cut it with the bandsaw, and then hit it with a gouge before realizing what was in the tree... I know someone who did that once. :o

Rick Hubka
11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
A friend came by with a nice piece of wood asking to take a 1/2 inch off the side. Gladly I did and hit a hidden nail. We both saw sparks. Broken teeth on the blade. My friend says sorry... thanks me a leaves. I guess... who wants to pay $60 for 1 cut. ME!

So many people don't understand the costs of saw blades and planner blades, sandpaper, drill bits, router bits, welding wire and gas, screws, nails, scraps of hard wood, I could go on.
Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have another sip of beer....... I love it when my friends drop by. It's worth it! Just don't tell the wife!

Jason Roehl
11-28-2012, 4:18 AM
I feel your pain. I just cut down 10 trees for my in-laws (11 if you count the one my bro-in-law pushed over with the Bobcat). I was working on tree #9, which was the second part of a forked tree that was the end of an old fence line. To make access to that one easier, I went to cut a notch in the first part of the fork. I could see where the top line of barbed wire went into the tree, so I was staying a few inches above it (I had already cut that tree down by cutting it quite high). I felt something hard, just as my BIL drove over in the Bobcat--he started yelling at me. Apparently, I was throwing sparks. A quick glance at my chain, and I thought I had just rounded some teeth, so I put the saw down. Later, on closer inspection, I realized I had chipped several teeth and bent a few outwards. Not going to even attempt to save that chain...time to order another.