PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled sharpening system question

James A. Brown
11-26-2012, 1:07 PM
I am thinking about adding something like the Tormek or Grizzley systems to sharpen my own tools. I will welcome any advice on any of these systems but have a specific question that would pertain to any of them. My shop is only heated when I am there working so at times it gets below freezing. Obvousley I would empty the water tray when not in use but will the wheel retain enough water to damage it's self? Thanks, Jim.

Jacob Reverb
11-26-2012, 1:22 PM
Obvousley I would empty the water tray when not in use but will the wheel retain enough water to damage it's self?

I have the Grizzly 10" knockoff of the Tormek and like it a lot. I can't answer your question authoritatively, but my hunch is that if you allowed the stone to dry for a day or so before subjecting it to sub-freezing temperatures, you should be OK. If you use it one day and then plan to leave it in your subzero shop that night, I might leave a light bulb burning near it, for the first night at least.

I do know that you MUST dump the water after using these things, lest the stone expand and get waterlogged on one side, and rust out the drive shaft, which will expand when it rusts and thereby break the stone...

Kyle Iwamoto
11-26-2012, 2:22 PM
I would think that the stone traps enough water to crack if allowed to freeze. We don't have that problem here, that's just my opinion.

There are multiple threads on the Tormek vs Griz vs Jet comparison. I have the Tormek. In my OPINION, you get what you pay for. If you get the Griz, don't expect it to be as good as the Tormek. If you don't, it's a good deal. The Tormek is way overpriced. And I have one. I would much rather have not spent that kind of money. If you want to only sharpen flat things, I would say the Tormek is NOT the way to go. If you sharpen gouges however, the Tormek is the way to go.

Just my $0.02.

Jim Andrew
11-26-2012, 2:41 PM
I have the 8" grizzly, and it doesn't work bad. Kindof hard to get your plane iron set square to the stone so your iron isn't sharpened at an angle, but much quicker than honing with water stones.

Carl Beckett
11-26-2012, 3:43 PM
That Makita horizontal would be worth a look. Still water though.

On another system they recommend a mix of water with cleaner like 409 or fantastic (perhaps as a surfactant/lubricant). I wonder if this helps prevent freezing.

Bill White
11-26-2012, 3:54 PM
Carl's suggestion on the Makita is to be thought of as a good possibility.
I've had mine for years with no probs at all. Plane irons, jointer blades, planer blades, chisles, & knives have been sharpened on that puppy.
Simple as stickin' your finger in your eye, and not unreasonably priced.
Look at it closely.
Bill

Harold Burrell
11-26-2012, 5:42 PM
I would think that the stone traps enough water to crack if allowed to freeze. We don't have that problem here...

You really had to say that, didn't you...:mad:

Ryan Baker
11-26-2012, 6:00 PM
The stone does dry out, but it does take some time. How much, I can't say. I wouldn't want to let it freeze within a day or two of using it. Contact Tormek and ask them. Or move in with Kyle. :) As mentioned, you must not leave the stone in the water when not using it anyway, but that's a different issue.

Danny Burns
11-27-2012, 4:47 AM
The Tormek comes with a quick change nut, that allows you to easily remove the stone, so taking the stone into the house, when freezing temperatures are expected, should not be too much of a problem.

Tormek Quick Release (http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/msk250/index.php)

I wonder how fast the stone looses the water it has gained. My stone really sucks up the water.
Perhaps weighing the stone dry, and then wet, and tracking how fast the stone looses water will give you your answer.

Andrew Kertesz
11-27-2012, 5:28 AM
The Work Sharp now has an attachement to allow you to use the Tormek jigs. This is a slow speed dry system. No experience so I'm not exactly sure if you can sharpen gouges on it or not.

Jim Foster
11-27-2012, 8:35 AM
I like the Tormek a lot, the Makita is very messy for me. With the humidity low in the winter and the shop heated when your in it, I'm not sure it will be a problem, and you can easily take the wheel off and store it inside. Also, consider the fact that grinding is an occasional activity. When I use the Tormek, it's usually a grinding party where I'll grind all the blades that need attention, then put the Tormek away for weeks on end. Sharpening and honing with stones happens much more often, almost everyday I'm in the shop

Ron Sayers
12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I keep and use my Tormek in an inside bathoom that is otherwise unused. I believe that when this was recently brought up on the Tormek forums that the official recommendation from Jeff Farris was to pop the stone off and take it inside. It's not a big deal.