PDA

View Full Version : Square Bowl

Josh Bowman
11-25-2012, 8:43 PM
I have been on a sabbatical for a few months learning a little about metal turning and refurbishing an old South Bend 9" lathe. It's now done and covered up.
Last month we had a demonstrator show us how to make a bowl from a cube of wood. The technique was interesting, although the wings are hard to work around. I got bitten more than once on this one. Anyway I decided to also make my first top and finial. I have to admit it was kind of fun. The base wood is maybe poplar (it was a pain to cut clean), the top is walnut and the finial is most likely poplar found on the floor.
C&C welcome.

Kathy Marshall
11-25-2012, 9:22 PM
Nice job Josh! Looks like it's got some sharp teeth! Looks like you've got nice clean corners and nice job on the top and finial.

Baxter Smith
11-25-2012, 9:28 PM
Looks like it would be kind of fun to try. I contemplate a metal lathe every time I see one on craigslist. Don't know enough to know what I am looking for.

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I know how hard those sharp edges on the wings were to do. Great job, Josh.

I looked at a South Bend with risers to give it a 14" swing. The bed was 7' long and it had a huge GE industrial motor, bringing the total length to over 8'. I really wanted it, but I couldn't figure out where to put it or, for that matter, how to lift it onto a trailer. Most of the metal turning parts had been removed when it was converted for use with wood.

Are you happy with your restoration project? I'm tempted to check and see if mine is still available.

Josh Bowman
11-26-2012, 5:51 AM
I contemplate a metal lathe every time I see one on craigslist. Don't know enough to know what I am looking for.
I didn't know very much either, so I first went with a Chinese mini lathe. Too small! Biggest thing on a metal lathe, is it all there. Are the ways not worn too bad. Are the spindle bearings ok. Tooling for these things are the real key. Very little can be done without it.

I looked at a South Bend with risers to give it a 14" swing. The bed was 7' long and it had a huge GE industrial motor, bringing the total length to over 8'. I really wanted it, but I couldn't figure out where to put it or, for that matter, how to lift it onto a trailer. Most of the metal turning parts had been removed when it was converted for use with wood.

Are you happy with your restoration project? I'm tempted to check and see if mine is still available.
Yes I'm very happy with the restoration. Learned alot. Got a book off of Ebay with lots of pictures and it helped me take the lathe down and put it back together. The SB 9" is a real work horse and has a big following as well as parts.

The teeth on the square bowl got my right index finger. I thought it brought blood and I had no feeling in the finger for 30 minutes! But no real damage...to me or the bowl.