PDA

View Full Version : A Turning from the mission fields in the Phillipines

Roger Chandler
11-25-2012, 7:35 PM
A number of years ago, my father in law received this turning from the Phillipines in appreciation for all he had done to support missions work in the far east. He was a fine man and a well beloved Pastor for some almost 50 years of ministry...passed to his reward in 1997.

We are moving some things from their home and I came across this turning with carving ......don't have any idea which turner did the work, as there is no signature on the piece and it is large ......22 inches high and 9 inches wide. I found it interesting that the hollowing marks show on the upper piece and thought you folks here on SMC might find it interesting as well.

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing, Roger. It's interesting to see items from other cultures. My aunt was a teacher for kids at Clark for many years. She came home for health reasons right before the volcano erupted and passed shortly after. She sent a lot of things home, but I've never seen anything like this piece.

Do you know whether it was intended solely as an art piece or if it has an intended purpose? It looks like a box with a funnel built into the lid. Could the lid be a chimney for incense burning in the lower half? These days, someone might put some scented oil in the base and some of those sticks in the funnel to wick it out.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2012, 7:39 AM
Thanks for sharing, Roger. It's interesting to see items from other cultures. My aunt was a teacher for kids at Clark for many years. She came home for health reasons right before the volcano erupted and passed shortly after. She sent a lot of things home, but I've never seen anything like this piece.

Do you know whether it was intended solely as an art piece or if it has an intended purpose? It looks like a box with a funnel built into the lid. Could the lid be a chimney for incense burning in the lower half? These days, someone might put some scented oil in the base and some of those sticks in the funnel to wick it out.

I really do not know about its intended use, Doug.......I suppose an art piece, however, your idea about an incense burner may be valid??? I would think something this big would be too big for that, but I am not familiar with their customs. My FIL had a friend who was director of world missions in the far east for many years and he supported numerous projects and a number of native missionaries in the Phillipines, China, Indonesia, etc.

I just thought it was an interesting piece, so I posted it. I do not notice any burning stains inside the bottom part, but if it was new when they got it, one would not expect any. You have got me curious now........:D

charlie knighton
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
great pieces, hold on to them

Jamie Donaldson
11-26-2012, 9:06 PM
That is an unusually well made and finished piece of work for export! Such wood brought in from tropic sources almost always cracks when drying out in our climates unless seasoned gradually with much care. The cutting marks indicate it was probably hollowed with a hook tool.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2012, 9:56 PM
That is an unusually well made and finished piece of work for export! Such wood brought in from tropic sources almost always cracks when drying out in our climates unless seasoned gradually with much care. The cutting marks indicate it was probably hollowed with a hook tool.

I suspect you are correct about the hook tool, Jamie. This is a real fine piece of work......big also at 22" high......looking at it from a distance, the curve is one continuous flowing form.......whoever did this, did some fine lathe work. I just wish I knew what its purpose was when it was turned.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Interesting turning Roger.