PDA

View Full Version : Red, blue and wormy

Eric Gourieux
11-25-2012, 2:56 PM
Box elder vase, wormy. I even found a live larva inside the vase after it was almost completely hollowed. 4" x 10".

For those who are interested, the larva is in the first pic.

I experimented with airbrushing TransTint dyes - black, sanded back, then red, then blue from the bottom up. The transition looks a little more pleasing in person. This might not have been the right piece for the dyes, with all the worm holes, but it's an experiment. I'm planning on finishing with either WTF or lacquer. I usually wipe on dewaxed shellac before one of these finishes, but I haven't after dying. Should I wipe on the shellac, as usual, or would it be better to use a spray shellac. I'd like to avoid rubbing the colors around as I apply the shellac.

Jim Burr
11-25-2012, 3:17 PM
This seems to be a good time for the airbrush and some WTF Eric.

Bob Bergstrom
11-25-2012, 3:37 PM
I would spray a wad of saran wrap and stamp blue in the red boarder and red into the blue boarder. It would add interest and break up the middle area. I also would skip the shellac and just spray it with clear lacquer. No reason to change any of the colors by introducing a slight color that may be in the shellac.

John Keeton
11-25-2012, 6:26 PM
Whatever you do, don't "rub" or "wipe" anything on the dye that has DNA or lacquer thinner in it. You will pick up the dye and move it around - not good! Since WTF will tint with Transtint, it probably would do the same until sealed with lacquer.

Looks nice, but I like Bob's suggestion, too.

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 6:36 PM
Sounds like that worm had a pretty wild ride. I hope you charged admission. Like John, I like what you have and I like Bob's idea. I don't know much about dye, but I wouldn't add yellow and I wouldn't rub on it.

ray hampton
11-25-2012, 7:15 PM
Sounds like that worm had a pretty wild ride. I hope you charged admission. Like John, I like what you have and I like Bob's idea. I don't know much about dye, but I wouldn't add yellow and I wouldn't rub on it.

yellow will create a special one of a kind project

Bob Bergstrom
11-25-2012, 9:18 PM
yellow will create a special one of a kind project
Yellow will turn the blue green and the red orange. Might even be a little brown where the red and blue meet. If you stamp it with Saran wrap, Wether you choose to seal it first or not will also change the final colors. Test one techniques on scraps first.

Baxter Smith
11-25-2012, 9:29 PM
Looking forward to the final product!

Eric Gourieux
11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll try out the Saran wrap idea and see what happens. I'll skip the shellac, as suggested. Now I remember Creekers, JK in particular, mentioning "setting" dyes with lacquer. That was in my brain somewhere, but it just came to the surface.

I don't have the spraying technique down for WTF yet. Lacquer is more friendly (for me) as a spray. I'd like to use WTF more due to the relative safety with spraying. That'll be my motivation.