PDA

View Full Version : Question for the instrument builders

Shawn Pixley
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I am working on my guitar storage/display cabinet. To of the drawers will store a guitar each (horizontally) in them. I am planning to pad the bottom of the drawer with foam and cover with an undyed leather. Do you see a problem with the foam offgassing and softening the finish of the guitar?

For the Fender type with poly finishes, I can't imagine a problem. But for the nitro / laquer or french polished finishes, should this be a concern?

Chris Fournier
11-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Over time any finish will most likely "print" if it is left in contact with another surface. Why stray from storing a guitar vertically or using good old "fake fur" as a storage liner? Not knowing your design constraints I would suggest rethinking your drawer scheme, but you may well have your reasons of which I am unaware. I can't personally think of one instance where I've seen a hand held stringed instrument stored for long terms on it's back.

Ryan Baker
11-25-2012, 4:56 PM
I think you will probably be fine if you aren't in contact with the foam. If the drawer gets some air circulation occasionally, a little outgassing shouldn't be much of an issue. It's probably safer than the cheap fake fur used in guitar cases. Monitor the finish for a while. If you see any signs of trouble, you can change out the material. I would proably make sure a nitro finish is well cured before putting it in there.

george wilson
12-10-2012, 9:47 AM
My cabinet I made,holds 32 guitars,hung vertically from their top 2 tuning pegs with plastic covered clothes line wires I bent into hooks. Nothing touches the finish,and I've had no ill effects from hanging the guitars from the top tuners. I coated the side windows of my large cabinet with uvh resistant film as the cabinet used to set between windows. I now have the case in a room with shades drawn. No problem in 25 years with any fading. I guarantee you that exposure to bright sunlight will fade a guitar as well as submerging it in bleach!! Years ago,I did the repair for a large music store in Norfolk,Va., They had a Gibson made Epiphone in the window that faded to a completely different color. In Williamsburg,a mahogany small table in a window has turned a pale yellow.