PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still make firmer gouges?

Tony Wilkins
11-25-2012, 1:50 AM
When I can finally get back into my workshop I am going to work through the projects in Jim Tolpin's New Traditional Woodworker. He suggests in his tool lists and for the first project (the straight edge) a wide, shallow firmer gouge. While it's not strictly required, I can see a lot of uses for such a tool.

I haven't found any currently offered firmer gouges and the description on the bay are so random I'm reticent to go that route. Does anyone still make firmer gouges? Any tips to finding vintage?

TIA,
Tony

ETA: Found some by Henry Taylor but they seem to be out of stock on the largest size (1").

James Owen
11-25-2012, 2:46 AM
Yes....Henry Taylor (available at Traditional Woodworker and The Best Things), and Two Cherries (available at Traditional Woodworker, and several other woodworking tool dealers) both make them. There may be other modern manufacturers, as well.
The HTs are Imperial, and the Two Cherries are metric.
Both are nice quality tools.

Chris Vandiver
11-25-2012, 3:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that Ashley Iles makes firmer(incannel)gouges and to all the sweeps available in their regular carving gouge line. Contact Joel at Tools fo Working Wood, I'm sure he would be glad to assist you.

There are plenty of incannel gouges available through ebay and from many of the vintage hand tool dealers.

Good luck with your quest.

Andrae Covington
11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
As well as the suggestions above (both brands and sources), Lee Valley sells some (might be made by MHG or Narex, not sure), Hartville Tool sells MHG, and there are even Japanese versions from Japan Woodworker, etc.

Frank Drew
11-25-2012, 2:03 PM
there are even Japanese versions from Japan Woodworker, etc.

I like the traditional incannel Japanese style with the curved cutting edge (picture a fingernail-ground spindle gouge with a flat inside bevel and you more or less have the idea); the flat bevel makes sharpening very easy and, IMO, the curved edge makes scribing easier. They're also very stout so won't flex at all in the cut.