PDA

View Full Version : EPS File

Patrick Dillon
04-23-2005, 8:45 AM
Just joined this forum and read in one of the posts about Dover Clipart.
Well I bought some yesterday and from what I understand if you import the eps
versions into Coreldraw they will be vectors. I have tried every filter and and all I can get is bitmaps. I am using Coreldraw 10. Does anyone know the secret
to this or perhaps I understood wrong and Dover is just bitmaps. Thanks in Advance. Pat Dillon

Rodne Gold
04-23-2005, 9:08 AM
If you use ANY other filter other than the PS,PRN , EPS filter (even the EPS one) you get the bitmap preview.
Use the PS,PRN EPS filter and import , ungroup after.

Patrick Dillon
04-23-2005, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the response. Tried importing with that filter but still comes in as
a bitmap. Of course ungroup is greyed out. Thanks anyway. Pat Dillon

Doug McIntyre
04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I struggled with EPS file importing some time ago with Dover clipart and another EPS library that I use occasionally. I can confirm that Rodne's method does work.

Jerry Allen
04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Encapsulated Postscript can be vector and bitmap just like a .cdr file can.
What Dover is giving you is .eps with bitmap data. Disappointing I know. I have a few Dover books and none of them have any vector data. Vector format, but no vector data. The best you can do is stick to the .bmp or .tiff files, import into Draw, and then use the Trace tool from the Bitmaps menu. Learning to use the Trace tool effectively takes a little practice.

Michael McDuffie
04-23-2005, 7:04 PM
I have some clipart CDs (not Dover) that actually have two of each file. One is a thumb nail and the other is the vector file. I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC, I have to import the *.AI rather than the *.EPS.

Michael

Kevin Huffman
04-25-2005, 9:54 AM
Hello Patrick,
We to made the mistake of purchasing some (4) of the Dover clipart books. We have almost every program sun. None of them let us import the file a already vectorized image. Everytime we imported it in, it was a bitmap. A really poor quality one at that. I think it was like 50 dpi, I know it was less than the average 72 dpi jpeg for the web.
The only way we could get a decent image was to scan the file from the page in the book that is included. Then we imported it into Photoshop, used the magic want to select parts and turn them true black. We then used corel trace 12 to get a awsome vector image out of it.

Kevin

Jackie McGowan
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Hello, For those who may be interested there is a vector scanning software that I have been using for about 5 yrs now. It's called ArtScan and it's put out by the jetsoft developement company (I don't have site info at the moment but they can be found online) last I bought it it was about $80.00. So easy to use and makes great vectors everytime. Beware though it doesn't work with every scanner. I have windows xp at work and home but two different scanners and at work it's worked fine but can't get it to work with my current scanner at home. (I love the software so much I may get a new scanner, especially since I am getting a laser soon) Anyway there is info on the site that tells you what scanners it is compatable with.
Bye for now
Jackie

Kevin Huffman
04-25-2005, 1:14 PM
Hello Jackie,

http://www.jetsoftdev.com (http://www.jetsoftdev.com/) is the website for JetSoft Development Company is but I didn't see anything on there about ArtSoft. They do have ArtScan and ArtCopy.

Jerome Klutts
04-25-2005, 1:43 PM
I got some EPS logos off the web and they were importing as bit maps. I tried opening the files in Corel instead of importing and they come in as vector files. I am using Corel 9.

Jerome

Jerry Allen
04-25-2005, 4:10 PM
All the Dover files are 600 DPI, but not necessarily clean. The most data you can get is from the .bmp or .tiff files. The rest are copies of the same generally with more overhead or less data--like the .jpg version.

I found the site for Artscan v5: http://www.scanhelp.com/.
You can download a shareware version there.
Worth a try. Thanks for tip, Jackie.

Jerry Allen
04-25-2005, 4:53 PM
I got this tip from the Corel Draw 12 newsgroup, or maybe a link there, and it works well.
When you scan a real small graphic such as a logo off a business card, you get get better results than just scanning at a high resolution. When you scan at a high resolution, the aliasing and defects are just amplifed.
Try doing this:
Scan at a relatively low resolution, say 75 DPI and use scaling, say 1600%.
You will find that the quality is considerably better.