PDA

View Full Version : rounding wheels

Harry Goodwin
11-24-2012, 8:08 PM
I'm having a senior moment as Christmas toys are in view. Any suggestions for an easy way to hold toy wheels on the lathe for final shaping? i have lots of chucks of all kinds from PSI 3 jaw little thing thru PSI's to
talon and jacobs chuck. I like to mount on a 1//4 bolt. Maybe a face wood plate with dowel to center and maybe double side tape to hold for finish cuts. I will either cut blanks for wheels with hole saw cutting from both sides or band sawed. I appreciate your help and suggestions. Harry

Belton Garvin
11-24-2012, 9:19 PM
I have made some train cars the last few year and the best way I have found is to use a pen mandrel. I mount 8 or 10 on there at a time with spacers. I work on the last one face and remove and then the next. As I run out of threads I add more spacers or finished wheels back on. The standard pen mandrel fits 1/4" hole perfectly.

Tom Wilson66
11-24-2012, 9:21 PM
How about a 1/4-20 insert, set into wood attached to a faceplate? Could use a wrench to get the bolt tight enough to finish turn the wheel. Leave a little boss around the insert to allow access to the entire outside of the wheel.

Harry Robinette
11-24-2012, 9:37 PM
Make a bolt face plate that will fit your chuck jaws just like a screw plate,put a nut on it then the wheel then another nut. You can tighten the nuts to hold the wheel.

Michelle Rich
11-25-2012, 2:37 PM
you can hold a small bolt in your jaws..or 1/4 inch all rod in the jaws..