PDA

View Full Version : seeking opions on laser levels

Lynn Kasdorf
05-05-2003, 3:11 PM
I'll be building a barn, and other outdoor stuff this summer, and I want to pick up a laser level.

I see that you can now buy cheapies at Costco, and all over ebay, and it makes me wonder about whether these are worth buying. The "real" laser levels are rather pricey still.

So- I'm talking about the $20-$40 laser levels out there. I'm thinking that a 16" level with both spot and line ability woudl be the thing to have, but I wonder:

- how accurate are these, and can they be adjusted?
- If it puts out a line, this must be done via a lens or prism, and I suspect it would be hard to calibrate the axis of this line accurately.
- There are 6" levels as well as 16" levels. I'm thinking 16" woudl be better, since I'll be working with large wood, with irregularities, and the extra length would be better. Fallacy?
- I wonder about the collimation of these cheap diode lasers. How big is the dot at 100'?

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what type and brand to buy, assuming a small budget. I can see a rotary laser being handy, but they are very expensive still. I think a tripod mount laser would be a good substitute. Any good/bad experiences would be useful.

I have a nice gas laser (from edmunds Scientific) that is mounted in a machined aluminum case with a tripod mount. One option is to calibrate this unit so that the beam is parallel to the case (by aiming at a distant spot, marking the spot, and flipping the laser over. The spot should match the mark). Maybe I shoudl just use this. But a battery powered unit would be handy, and less fragile.

Thanks
Lynn Kasdorf

Lee Schierer
05-05-2003, 4:58 PM
I have no experience with laser levels, but your thought on the size of the dot struck a cord with me.

Even if the dot is 1/2" diameter at 100 feet, isn't that accurate enough for most buildings?

Also, if you always use the center of the dot for your measurement, you will be more accurate even if the size of the dot grows.

Like I said, no earthshaking revelations, just some idle thoughts.

Charles McKinley
05-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi Lynn,

The company my Dad works for user the RoboLaser. It is $300 in Tool Crib but is self-leveling and I know that they work. The "line generator" that comes with it puts out a series of dots to make the line. The remote control is nice if you will be working alone. They are also available at the box stores.

They can be mounted on a tripod.

I have not used the smaller laser levels but have been leary of them.

I think this is a case of you get what you pay for. The RoboSquare is similar to the unit you described is $99.

Good luck, please tell us what you decide and how it works.