PDA

View Full Version : Does Social Security ever call you?

Michael Weber
11-24-2012, 5:55 PM
This call seemed ligit as the person had all the facts and I had submitted an application for Medicaid a few weeks ago. However, the caller is talking about options on collecting SS. Is this normal? I haven't given any account numbers or anything and he says he will call back in a few days after we have had time to consider which of several options we wanted to persue as far as collecting SS. I did fill out the Medicaid application online at the SSA site. I guess my fear is that someone somehow intercepted the application giving them all the ss numbers, names, etc. And now calling looking for account numbers. I know it's unlikely but thought I'd ask. Thanks

Michael Moscicki
11-24-2012, 6:07 PM
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/ssascams.htm

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is warning benefit recipients that they are currently the targets of a number of scams surfacing throughout the United States.Jo Anne Barnhart, Commissioner of Social Security and Patrick O’Carroll, Jr., Acting Inspector General of Social Security reported that SSA had received numerous reports about telephone calls or visits from people alleging to be Social Security employees. In each case, the person attempted to obtain personal information, such as a Social Security or bank account number, from the Social Security recipient.
"I find it very troubling that our most vulnerable citizens are being targeted by these unscrupulous people,” Commissioner Barnhart stated. "I caution everyone to be extremely careful about releasing personal information."
The perpetrators, who identify themselves as Social Security employees, have used a variety of tactics to obtain personal information. In one instance, the caller said the Agency was experiencing a power outage and needed to verify the person’s information. In another, the caller posed as an employee who needed to verify the recipient’s direct deposit information.
In a third, the recipient is told their Social Security benefits are being cut because they have inherited a house from a relative; an event that would not result in a reduction of their Social Security benefit according to Commissioner Barnhart. To help perpetrate the fraud, the caller then places the recipient on hold and plays the same on-hold recordings used by Social Security. When the caller gets back on the line, the recipient is then told proceeds from the sale of the house will be sent to them if they pay the back taxes.
Acting Inspector General O’Carroll recommends people always take precautions when giving out personal information. “You should never provide your Social Security number or other personal information over the telephone unless you initiated the contact, or are confident of the person to whom you are speaking,” O’Carroll said. "If in doubt, do not release information without first verifying the validity of the call." Barnhart and O’Carroll recommend contacting thelocal Social Security office (http://www.ssa.gov/locator/) or Social Security’s toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 to verify the legitimacy of the call. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call Social Security's TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.)
Acting Inspector General O’Carroll notes that the Office of Inspector General (OIG) is working closely with the Agency to investigate all reports of suspicious activity. To report suspicious activity, please call the OIG Hotline at 1-800-269-0271. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the OIG TTY number at 1-866-501-2101.) A Public Fraud Reporting form is also available online at OIG’s Website: http://www.ssa.gov/oig/.

jim hollenback
11-24-2012, 6:13 PM
I have a very simple rule for anyone calling and asking for personal information for any reason at all ... what part of no did you not understand. I don't care who you say you are I will not confirm or deny anything.

Steve Costa
11-24-2012, 6:26 PM
Never ever give anyone any personal information over the phone!!!!

David G Baker
11-24-2012, 6:40 PM
Call your local SS office and make an appointment and get all of the information you need from the actual source. They can be very helpful. Some of the most confusing information you will ever receive in the mail will happen when you get close to the retirement age. Different insurance companies will bombard you with tons of junk. Your best source of information is the SS/Medicare instruction books, read them throughly and be prepared to be confused again. Guess we all go through the confusing period prior to retiring unless we worked for a company that does its best to council you prior to the big event. Good luck.

Gary Hodgin
11-24-2012, 9:15 PM
Michael,
I'm don't know much about this sort of thing but I'd definitely talk to someone at SS before I gave out any private information. Something I don't understand. Did you apply for medicaid or medicare at the SS website (www.socialsecurity.gov)? I'm not sure but I don't believe SSA has anything (or at least not directly) to do with medicaid. If you applied for medicare, then the call would make more sense because you have to be on SS before you can collect medicare (as I understand it).

Jim Matthews
11-25-2012, 8:01 AM
The only time the Social Security administration would call is to confirm your death.

If you answer, they know you're not.

Jerome Stanek
11-25-2012, 8:13 AM
I just received a call from SS wanting to know if I would like to change my date of enrollment. I said that I wanted to keep the date I had chosen and they were ok with that. I did go to the SS office day that day and they had a copy of the call so yes they do call.

Michael Weber
11-25-2012, 9:01 AM
Thanks everyone. The caller never asked for any information or tried to pressure us. He had information I assume only the SSA would have including the fact I had submitted an online form but was talking about SS benefits and not Medicaid which was why the form was submitted. My wife tells me that the call originated in Alexandria, VA. I will deal locally when the time arrives to provide personal info.

Phil Thien
11-25-2012, 10:12 AM
My wife tells me that the call originated in Alexandria, VA. I will deal locally when the time arrives to provide personal info.

I'm not saying the call was real or not.

But you cannot trust CID (Caller ID) for where calls are coming from.

Many phone carriers allow customers to set any outgoing CID they like.

I can call you and make it look like I'm calling from the oval office.

Jerome Stanek
11-25-2012, 11:46 AM
When I was at the SS department they did mention that they where calling people to change their date to an earlier than you chose.

Stephen Tashiro
11-26-2012, 8:44 PM
The social security office in Albuquerque called me after I submitted my online application for medicare. I went to my local SS office, but they couldn't handle the matter. So I called the Albuquerque SS office and took care of things.

When you do an online application, it's assigned a number. A genuine caller about the application should be able to tell you that number. You can also explain that you want to hang-up and call the person back by going through the public telephone number for the SS office involved.

Ed Aumiller
11-26-2012, 9:41 PM
If someone calls, get a call back number with name and extension, then hang-up, check the web for the correct number for social security, etc, then call that number and ask to speak to xxxx, if it is legit, they will be there....

NEVER use the call back number they gave you, locate it from another trusted source...

It is very easy to spoof any agency, bank, etc....

Never give out any info to anyone UNLESS you made the call...

I recently went through the social security, medicare, etc process's and all personal info was done online with the government agency and they will not ask for that kind of information over the phone unless you called them, they will not call you and ask for the info... all bank numbers for direct deposit, etc was done online and initiated by me, not by anyone calling for info...

Never give out any info to anyone UNLESS you made the call...

Phil Thien
11-27-2012, 9:15 AM
It is kind of funny that I've seen many of your names before, and never figured you guys were old enough for social security.

This is really an old guy's hobby, isn't it?

Jerome Stanek
11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
It is kind of funny that I've seen many of your names before, and never figured you guys were old enough for social security.

I don't know about how old you are but where I work I seem to be able to keep up if not out work guys that are half my age. Some of them can't even pick up a sheet of plywood. There is another older fellow there that loves to work with me because we work together really well. We have to put together display units and we can do 30 a day with on problem when all the other crews can do 25 and we aren't pushing it. There is kind of a competition on these units

Phil Thien
11-27-2012, 6:35 PM
I don't know about how old you are but where I work I seem to be able to keep up if not out work guys that are half my age. Some of them can't even pick up a sheet of plywood. There is another older fellow there that loves to work with me because we work together really well. We have to put together display units and we can do 30 a day with on problem when all the other crews can do 25 and we aren't pushing it. There is kind of a competition on these units

I sure hope you weren't offended, absolutely no offense was intended.

My only point was I've seen many of your names before, and I had never considered many of you guys were old enough to consider retirement.

Which got me to thinking that this may be a hobby for older guys (I'm 47), not so much younger folk.

Larry Whitlow
11-27-2012, 7:47 PM
I sure hope you weren't offended, absolutely no offense was intended.

My only point was I've seen many of your names before, and I had never considered many of you guys were old enough to consider retirement.

Which got me to thinking that this may be a hobby for older guys (I'm 47), not so much younger folk.

Not an old guys hobby, but old guys might be able to enjoy it a little more. I bought my first table saw in 1976. I retired this year and am enjoying the extra shop time more than I ever imagined. What has been really surprising to me is the amount of work out there if you want it. I do work for family and friends for the cost of materials. Word gets around and I have turned down cabinet work from others because I'm just not ready to stop enjoying my retirement freedom yet.

Phil Thien
11-27-2012, 9:56 PM
Not an old guys hobby, but old guys might be able to enjoy it a little more. I bought my first table saw in 1976. I retired this year and am enjoying the extra shop time more than I ever imagined. What has been really surprising to me is the amount of work out there if you want it. I do work for family and friends for the cost of materials. Word gets around and I have turned down cabinet work from others because I'm just not ready to stop enjoying my retirement freedom yet.

You are SURPRISED people are willing to have you do work for just the cost of materials?

Stephen Tashiro
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Considering the infrastructure that hobby woodworking needs (a certain amount of floorspace, a certain isolation from neighbors who would object to the noise), not mention a certain investment in tools and time, my guess is that you are statistically correct. Most hobbies requiring spare cash, real estate and time are going to be hobbies of older people since they are more likely to have accumulated these things.

Larry Whitlow
11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
You are SURPRISED people are willing to have you do work for just the cost of materials?

Huh. Maybe I didn't say that correctly. I meant that over and above what I do to help out family and friends, there are plenty of people willing to pay for work if you want it. At this point in my life, I prefer to stay in retirement.

Greg Portland
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
But you cannot trust CID (Caller ID) for where calls are coming from.
+1. With Voice-over-IP you can have your call come from anywhere.

The primary social security administration office is located in Baltimore, MD and not in VA. Most cities have local social security administration offices... any business would be conducted by those folks. Finally, I believe Medicaid is administered on a state level and not a national level --> https://www.medicaid.state.ar.us/ .

Jim Koepke
11-28-2012, 10:22 PM

Not that old, we were using hand tools before electric tools and electricity isn't really that old…

jtk

Some of us first met at the meeting when they decided to call it dirt.