PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like the Kreg HD?

Jay Jeffery
11-24-2012, 4:36 PM
Like just about everybody who has tried it, I LOVE my Kreg jig. Now I see a beefed up version for 2X4's and can't help but get excited. That gets tempered by my disappointing with the Kreg Deck Jig, which was, well, disappointing.

I've got a project coming up making a bed using existing pinn headboards. Cross dowels aren't an atractive option, even if it is the "right" way to do it. It would seem that making 2X4 rails and joining them to the headboard with #14 pocket screws would be an ideal application, ie excuse to buy one. It will be a king sized bed and will probably include some drawers. My wife is not entirely sold on the idea.

Any thought or feedback?

Mike Heidrick
11-24-2012, 5:44 PM
I bought a million of the standard Kreg screws in the Sears blowout this year so not looking forward to investing in more. I assume it uses larger screws. It does sound appealing but I have not had an issue with the standard ones and some glue in 2X.

Stephen Cherry
11-24-2012, 6:13 PM
I just picked up my kreg pocket hole machine as a craigslist score, so no upgrades for me. Drills a hole in about a second (maybe two). Fast, easy, and fun. That said, I think that they are good for lots of things, but I would think about something else for a bed; seems like a lot of stress on just a few screws. I think that pocket holes can be plenty strong, but are better spread out over a larger distance with more screws. Just my opinion though and maybe worth a try.

Maybe making the "rails" out of plywood, and much wider would be a lower stress option.

Jay Jeffery
11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
When Sears had all the Kreg screws on clearance I was a few days late to the party. I got some #10 SS 2 1/2", which I have given me stripping problems. The normal 2X4 Kreg screws are just #8, but I suspect they are just as strong as the #10 stainless. Mc Feely's has some #10 pocket hole 2 5/8" screws (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1025-PML/10-x-2-58-Pocket-Hole-Screws-Unplated-Steel-Flat-Pan-Head-Square-Drive) without washer heads, which is lame since the wood typically fails at the screw head. You just can't have it all in 2X4 pocket hole screws.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Heavy Duty Kreg Jig (http://www.kregtool.com/Kreg-Jig-HD-Prodview.html) advertised it uses a 1/2" drill bit instead of a 3/8", and the screws are #14.
For reference, a normal #8 wood screw has a major diameter of 0.164", while a #14 is .242" (nearly a 1/4"), but how that scales the strength of Kreg's case hardened pocket hole screws isn't obvious.

They have some strength testing (http://www.kregtool.com/prodImages/files/KregJigHDForceTestSheet.pdf), but it only seems to have tested the shear strength of some joints. A bed will load the joints in bending. Also, they used ACQ pressure treated and cedar; the joints failed in the wood. I plan to use SYP which should be stronger.

Mike Heidrick
11-25-2012, 8:24 PM
How well does a #14 Type17 tipped screw work at self drilling?

Dan Rude
11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm trying mine out tomorrow. I'm doing a basement remodel and have been using the regular Jig and the 21/2" SS on my 2x4 studs.
If it works like my other jigs I'm sure it could work.
Dan

Larry Frank
11-26-2012, 8:28 PM
I use my regular Kreg Jig a lot and looked at the HD version. It was a little pricey for me. Maybe, when I have the right project, I will look at it.

I have built a couple of beds out of 2x4 and 2x6 material. I did some trials and was not happy with the strength of screws into them. A bed is subjected to some pretty heavy loads :) and movement. I went with cross dowels and the bed is very strong and have not had any problems.

Jay Jeffery
12-06-2012, 9:40 PM
I picked up a pack of the HD screws. Here are some pics of 2 1/2" pocket hole screws for scale. The tan one (left) is the Kreg HD #14, blue one (middle left) is the standard Kreg Blu Kote #8, the silver one (middle right) is a Kreg stainless #10, and the blackish one (right) is a McFeelys Pocketmax #10. The Kreg HD is quite a bit bigger around in the shaft and has a little more cut out in the auger tip. The head is also much bigger, and that is where I've known pocket hole joints to fail. As an added benefit, the hole is of a bigger diameter, leading to a lower radius stress riser.

One other observation to make is that the box of stainless "pocket hole" screws I got are actually mislabeled cabinet hanging screws. The threads of pocket hole screws should only fully extend into the non-pocketed board when assembled. This allows the 2 pieces to be pulled together without a fully threaded shaft working like a jam nut. I had attributed the headaches on a recent project using the stainless screws to the softer heads that are prone to stripping, but lining the screws up like this made my problem just a little more clear.

Okay, so irrelevant rants aside, the Kreg HD screws might do what I need them to on my bed project. I don't know if I can justify the funds to buy the kit, though. I initially choked at the thought of buying the K3, but it has turned out to be my favorite tool in the shop, worth every penny. I even picked up a second one so I don't have to make adjustments as often. Do I take the plunge on its new big brother?

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2012, 9:51 PM
links are not working for me.

Jay Jeffery
12-07-2012, 7:49 PM
247347247348247349 Did that work?